Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Barrie
I've had reflux for 10 years or more. This was diagnosed after chasing a constant cough for about 3 years. No pain. Over the past month or so in addition to breathing changes the reflux has been way worse. To the point that I get maybe 2-3 hours at a stretch. The respirologist said maybe just double up on the nexium, or it could be related to diaphragm weakness. Anybody have this?
Vincent

It can be, or the glottis more directly -- it may be opening/closing less consistently. Other things to try: chewable papaya tabs before/after eating (you can take 2 at a time, so you could split them up); changing the temp of your food/drinks, slippery elm (separated from meds), and if you do take meds, try to document the timing to see if one or more may be triggers -- sometimes just swallowing certain pill types can be, for example, and, if so, you could start crushing in applesauce, yogurt or liquid. You can't change the weakness but you can often reduce the acid/bubbles/air mix. As I'm sure you know, carbonated drinks, citrus, dairy and spicy food can be triggers as well. We also had some success w/ just alternating drinking and eating throughout a meal. Sometimes it's just about the mix.

Yes, I've had it at times but seems to be under control now, & I only take a pill if I feel I may have a problem soon. Over the counter at Walmart is EQUATE RANITIDINE which works well, and then from my doctor OMEPRAZOLE SA 20 MG. It's very good.

Just a reminder: omeprazole, which is also available OTC, is in the same PPI class of meds as Nexium (rx only), so don't try them both at once. Ranitidine is an older type of drug (H2 blocker) and if taking a PPI once a day is not working well enough, can be added at bed time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back