Psalms, hymns, and spiritual songs

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an orthodox christian, our liturgical day starts in the evening, the way the jews did it. We have a vespers service to sing in the coming day. So we gather as the sun sets, or in this season already after dark and with the church lights dimmed, and sing:

"O Gladsome Light of the holy glory of the Immortal Father, heavenly, holy, blessed Jesus Christ. Now that we have come to the setting of the sun and behold the light of evening... we praise God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. For it is right at all times to worship Thee with voices of praise, O Son of God and Giver of Life, therefore all the world doth glorify Thee."

The tune varies by season of the year, but they're all beautiful. And there's little more uplifting than I can think about than gathering in the dark to praise the light of the world.

This is the non-lenten tune our church uses: O Gladsome Light Byzantine Chant - YouTube

That's beautiful Beky! Thank you!

Beauti, I love their " I can only imagine". I have been writing a list in my mind of the sokgs I want played at my memorial. I have some religious, rock country and top 40. I definitely have chosen Queen's Who wants to live forever song. I know it sounds morbid but its what I want.

Beauti,

My most favorite song by Mercy Me is, +"Heaven got another angel tonight". Definitely on my top 5.

Susan 10,

Those are 2 great choices. I think I remember seeing the Cash Carter one when I was a kid. (Now I date myself.)

My dad was the pianist/business manager for he Stamps Quartet before WWII and a wonderful Southern Gospel piano player who couldn't read a note. His favorite songs were When the Saints Go Marchin In and What a Friend We Have in Jesus.

whine......where is our LIKE button!

Susan 10,
Love both of those songs!
Toto,
I am actually now preparing to sing a song for my memorial. I think it's a great song to encourage the people that I love to realize that this life is short but eternity is a long long time and we all have an open invitation to spend it together with our Creator. The title is "I dreamed I searched Heaven for you."

Cindy

Awesome song Cindy!

I heard this song years ago by a different singer but I can't remember her name. I am trying to learn it to sing with our music minister so we can record it for memorial. Just praying my voice will be able to do it by the time I learn it!

I recently found a song, I know everyone will enjoy. Its a remake of "Hallelujah" by Kelly Mooney on Y O U T U B E. It took her 2 years to get the legal rights in order for her to change the words. Well worth the wait. I cry everytime I hear it.

A Gaither Homecoming version of Rich Mullins' Awesome God, filmed on location in the Holy Land.

Does Bill Gaither ever age?

Tr, can you get the "link" for the song I mentioned above? If so, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back