Pictures of PALS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louie: Could it be your browser preventing you from viewing the pics?[/QUOTE said:
How do I check/fix that? I use IE.

Signed,
Missing the good pics of all our PALS!

Hi coach's wife. I've sent you a private message.
AL.

These are two pictures of Linda on her last Birthday, March 7, 2006.

The first one is with her two kids and the second one is at the surprise Birthday party her girlfriends threw for her.

Linda passed away on November 18, 2006 4 and 1/2 years after diagnosed.

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 323
  • Linda'sBirthday010.jpg
    Linda'sBirthday010.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 295
This is a picture of Linda in New York City (1/06) all wrapped up to keep warm. She could barely lift her arms but her hands still worked well enough to feed herself and she could still talk (with much effort). We bought a battery operated heated blanket to use in her wheelchair as we strolled around the city. Linda, myself and another friend as well as our 17 year old daughters (friends since kindergarten) enjoyed 5 days in NYC staying at the famous Waldorf Astoria Hotel as a fullfillment of Linda's long held dream to visit the Big Apple.

Attachments

• new york 027.jpg
    new york 027.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 282
Thank you trusting, for sharing those nice pics of Linda with us. She was a very beautiful lady. She still looked good in spite of her ilness, bless her soul, may she rest in peace. How old was Linda when she passed? Again, thank you, and God bless.

Irma

Hi Irma,

Yes, Linda looked good the entire time she was sick. Looking sick was one of her greatest fears when first diagnosed. She insisted each day (with the exception of the last week) that she get up, shower and have her hair & makeup perfectly done. Also, she always wore "regular" clothes and of course her jewelry!

Looking back today it's hard to remember how frustrated I'd feel spending two or more hours getting her showered, made up and dressed for the day and have her ask me to hold the magnifying mirror up to her face so she could "check out" her makeup. I'd look like hell after hauling her in and out of the wheelchair to the shower chair, wet from washing her in the shower, stinky from perspiration and hot flashes and have no makeup on myself because I'd not taken the time to put it on so that I could get to her house before her husband left for work. I willingly and (most days) happily did these things for Linda and usually was able to keep her from seeing my frustration and sacrifice by telling myself "wouldn't you want to have someone who would do this for you if the tables were turned". Linda always expressed her gratitude and apoligized for her "perfectionism".

As her friend I understood how necessary it was for her to feel "in control" of something in her life but it was only the grace of God that kept me from strangling her some days.
Today, a year and a half since she died, I find peace in knowing that I helped her live as normal a life as possible, and look good, while dying.

For all of the CALS out there, I say keep up the hard, frustrating, selfless, sad and exhausing work of caring for your loved one. There is no greater joy (after a time)
and no sweeter peace than that which comes from caring for both body & soul of one
that you love.

Happy Father's Day to all the great dads!

Blessings,
Jeanne

Hi Trustinggod

Hi Trustinggod:

I totally agree with you, there's nothing that can give us CALS more joy than to make
everything possible to make our lives PALS a little more bearable.

May God bless you for all you did for your friend Linda.

Love

Paty
Baja California, Mexico
Cals to late husband Jorge
Dx 10/17/05
Died 12/30/07

Thank y'all for sharing your pics and stories!

We can all be inspired by each of your experiences!

Putting faces to ALS shows us we truly are not alone.

Here are pics of my PALS (who just started posting here as jpruppe) and me, my PALS standing by a huge stump he was splitting in our yard for firewood last October 2007 five months before bulbar-onset ALS diagnosis, and under a favorite tree on the trail he faithfully maintained for the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club in the Shenandoah National Park on March 15th 2008 one day after his diagnosis. Now he is barely able to walk with crutches and has to be helped to dress. And so it goes.

All the best to everyone. May we all have courage and strength to carry us through these days.
Jane

Attachments

• John and Jane.jpg
    John and Jane.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 189
  • John and big stump Oct. 2007 resized 75 kb.jpg
    John and big stump Oct. 2007 resized 75 kb.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 260
  • One Mile Run trail-John day after ALS diag. March 2008 resized.jpg
    One Mile Run trail-John day after ALS diag. March 2008 resized.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 273
Jane!

Y'all are a good looking couple!

Thank you for sharing! We all need to see that ALS is our neighbor next door!

Thanks CJ! I think we're all fine lookin' folks and I'm grateful to you for applauding jrienecker who first posted pics of her father. You took her to task and suggested we all post our pics.
You're right, CJ...we indeed do need to see that ALS is our neighbor next door! I also want to thank you for all the helpful input you give to so many people who post on these forums. I'm sure many many PALS and CALS have benefitted from your posts.

(This is off-topic, but many times I've thought to tell you that I used to live in Statham on the Winder Road. I don't remember the route number, but that was back in 1976-77. I worked as the receptionist for the McGregor Printing Company on Washington Street in Athens and one of the linotype printers was run by a guy from Monroe. Small world! Take care, CJ!)
All the best PALS and CALS, :wink:
Jane

Jeanne, all I can say is God bless you!

Irma

Jeanne,
I love your honesty! I think you're a hero for admitting to feelings that may not sound pretty, but are so truthful. We've all had feelings like that, but I really admire you for admitting to it.
Linda was so fortunate to have you and how selfless you were. I love your description:

"Looking back today it's hard to remember how frustrated I'd feel spending two or more hours getting her showered, made up and dressed for the day and have her ask me to hold the magnifying mirror up to her face so she could "check out" her makeup. I'd look like hell after hauling her in and out of the wheelchair to the shower chair, wet from washing her in the shower, stinky from perspiration and hot flashes and have no makeup on myself because I'd not taken the time to put it on so that I could get to her house before her husband left for work."

I can just picture it, but what a saint you were. And as you said, it's hard for you to remember today your frustration then. That's the beauty of memory. Those kinds of feelings recede with the passage of time until they all but fade from memory. Memory of pain is like that too.
Thanks again for your honesty, Jeanne. That kind of honesty helps others not to feel guilty and helps others to be honest.
Peace to you, Jeanne. Linda is resting peacefully and you can be at peace knowing you gave your all for her and helped her get to that peaceful place.
Jane

Jane & Irma,

Thanks for the kind words of affirmation.

One of the best things about this Forum is the "knowing" that others understand.

Something has changed in me since my time helping Linda and I often feel
misunderstood in the world at large. It's nice to have a place to share with others
the blessings I've received from my experience with a horrible desease.

I continue to pray for a cure. In the meantime, my hope is to help other PALS/CALS in any way that I can.

Warm regards,
Jeanne

I really like seeing these pictures. Keep them coming! I finally got mine to work!

This is Brian

Attachments

• Aaron party and DB game 061.jpg
    Aaron party and DB game 061.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 282
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back