New symtom. Concernd. Should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is disgusting to me that people are trolls on a site such as this. Why would you come onto a site where people are suffering from what I think is the worst disease imaginable, and where people are seeing people they love suffer from. You must be a huge *******.

Sorry for the cursing, but that's ridiculous.

Careful folks, the " sentinel" will pounce about now! Duck.

And I don't mean the moderators, by the way.

well munecagirl may not be a troll in the full sense of the word but is just annoying.........about the theory,i dont know if you can have two user names with the same email address? or maybe they have another?
sorry ilovejesus for the diversion of the thread or any misunderstanding.

Back to the original question...trying to diagnose yourself on line is not possible and will do nothing more then frustrate you and increase your anxiety. None of us here are Dr's and no reputable Dr. would diagnose you online. See what your Neuro says on Monday, until then put it out of your mind.

Muncegirl22, I live about 1 hr away. If you want to see what ALS looks like live, I will make plans to meet you!

looks as if I have seem to stir up some controversy on this thread as my last. It is kind of werid but ok I care and I dont have a comment as being another person "in disguise". That is ridiculous in my eye's. I probably will not be even able to make it to the neuro on Monday as my estranged father is having a surgry so I will be there for him and have to make a later appointment added stress. I see some people have the same finger issue as I have and it is normal and someone else said it is something for a neuro to look at. I do feel it is alarming as it has never once happend to me before I would have noticed this a few months ago while "checking" over my body. I do relieze anixiety can do a number on the ol nogan but i have been stress free an had a mind made up of something odd in my body and then this. Just thought I would post and see what other people had to say.

Probably normal. Just do not understand how it would come on like this and never leave well I hope and pray that my neuro sure does take this seriously he probably will not as he dont seem to focused. Hey what do I know? I do know that now my finger is staying like this I have to use my muscle or whatever it is iam useing to keep it straight like in my left hand. Did anyone ever find out if there was an emg done that LMN would show up way before a body part became paralyzed (say like mine if this would be als?) To me this would be a great example of a muscle losing strength one day normal one day not.

iloveJESUS, my Mom has tremors in her hands and neck and head, and it's completely benign...her hands shake so much when she holds a fork she has to hold the hand holding the fork. Non-essential tremors, not Parkinson's, not ALS, just that. (I thought that's what was happening to my hands a couple of years ago, but they're still almost the same as they were, my onset was in my left foot.) Anyway, my point is that anxiety or being overtired will make your body do a lot of weird things that mean absolutely nothing... especially since you were saying you look at your hands every night to check on the tremor. Stop doing that, don't jump to conclusions, and don't think anything about it right now. From your name, you have faith, so rely on that and calm yourself down. Enjoy the weekend, don't worry about it for right now and bring it up with the neuro on Monday. You have the choice to worry about it or put it aside and let it be. Good luck on Monday, and let us know how it goes!

Where to begin?

looks as if I have seem to stir up some controversy on this thread as my last. It is kind of werid but ok I care and I dont have a comment as being another person "in disguise". That is ridiculous in my eye's.

Not going to the doctor when you have a problem that gives you "great anxiety" isn't controversial -- it's just plain stupid. What's controversial is you expecting us to ignore the fact that you consistently ignore the advice you're given and refuse to answer questions that we ask you. That's the type of behavior that we see from silly teenagers that want to jerk the old sick folks around.

And when your writing "style" and approach to advice that you're given mimics that of another user who wastes our time with similar foolishness and tortures our eyesight with your semiliteracy, don't be surprised when people think you are the same person.

I probably will not be even able to make it to the neuro on Monday as my estranged father is having a surgry so I will be there for him and have to make a later appointment added stress.

Hospital emergency rooms are open 24 hours a day and will be until your estranged father has his surgery. If you had called your primary care doctor on Tuesday, it's very likely that he/she would have seen you by now and you would know what the problem is. If it's not important to you what's wrong with your finger, why should we care what's wrong with your finger?

I see some people have the same finger issue as I have and it is normal and someone else said it is something for a neuro to look at. I do feel it is alarming as it has never once happend to me before I would have noticed this a few months ago while "checking" over my body. I do relieze anixiety can do a number on the ol nogan but i have been stress free an had a mind made up of something odd in my body and then this. Just thought I would post and see what other people had to say.

You got the advice you were after: see a doctor. And it doesn't have to be a neuro, by the way.

Probably normal. Just do not understand how it would come on like this and never leave well I hope and pray that my neuro sure does take this seriously he probably will not as he dont seem to focused. Hey what do I know?

And until you have it looked at by a doctor and find out what's causing it, you'll remain ignorant of what's going on and will have to fill in the blanks with some more misunderstood and misinterpreted "research" from the ’Net. Do that to your heart's content, but expect to be challenged when you post it here.

I do know that now my finger is staying like this I have to use my muscle or whatever it is iam useing to keep it straight like in my left hand. Did anyone ever find out if there was an emg done that LMN would show up way before a body part became paralyzed (say like mine if this would be als?) To me this would be a great example of a muscle losing strength one day normal one day not.

EMGs show LMN problems long before clinical signs such as weakness, twitching, or paralysis show up. We answer that question a couple of times a week here and a post about EMGs and what they can and can't find is linked in one of the "sticky" posts that are permanently listed at the top of this section of the board. You ought to try reading the sticky posts.

And what you are calling "weakness" or "paralysis" is only that in your mind. Come back when you've found a doctor who agrees with you.

What you can't do, is look at yourself so closely for abnormalities. We are all different. The next thing you can't do, is clump every little thing that happens to your body, together and try to come up with one answer.

After telling you my hand was like yours, it occurred to me that I have carpal tunnel on that hand, probably the cause, but I had completely forgotten that my EMG showed I had it, as it is not symptomatic. I really try not to dwell on these things! There could well be a simple explanation for your finger as well. No reason to keep thinking you have ALS. ( all of you)

Yes everyone is right each and everyone has an excellent answer. I have had an NCV test done before while working in walmart and it was normal. It is not carpel tunnel actually my nerve test was A-OK. Maybe this finger thing is just something weird my dad said it has happend to him but he is 75yrs old. Yes probably not ALS just scary when I have other issues going on and then one day hands are normal and then next it is falling to the side and will not stay up without me forcing it to. I would think if it was ALS i could not force it to. I was asking about EMG because i have had an upper one before 6months ago right and left thumb areas and arm I think it was. So if that was a clean one -minus a few twitching then 6months before I guess would have shown up weakness (I:E: MY MIDDLE FINGER). When I use my mouse pad now or anything the middle finger seems to lap over ring finger but i can move it up down and sideways.

No E.R for me I am long away from my hometown to get to a dr. this startd here and your right I should not be looking at my hands all the time. So once back in hometown neuro can take a look untill then. PPS. I did not want anyone to care just to give me advice on what they thought was wrong or if anything sounded familiar or non familiar.

Once again, I'll try to keep my snarky comments to a minimum....iluvJESUS, please follow through with your neuro appointment on Monday! Rather than looking for another excuse, ie., "estranged father's surgery"--get on with it! GO TO THE DOCTOR, THE ONE PERSON WHO IS MOST QUALIFIED TO HELP YOU WITH YOUR ISSUES. Rather than sit at your computer and bemoan your situation.....do something about it! Please take a proactive step in figuring out what is wrong with you. If you can't take the initiative, I would sincerely ask that you stay the hell outta this forum and leave it to the folks that care enough about themselves or their loved ones to take their health issues seriously! Best of luck to you.

Ruth

Iam going to the neurologist on October the 17th there was no way I would be back home unfortunely on Monday, totally stinks ,but dutie's call. I do not think they would have to repeat an EMG since they did stick a needle in that right hand it does seem rather strange having a cluster of neuro/muscular issues all at once though.

I do have a quick question if anyone could answer for me. Can anyone give me some examples of Clonus.? My understanding of Clonus in ALS or PLS is a shaking of a body part (muscle?) when using it. Only one side would most likely be affected. For an example sitting at a dinner table legs normal pointing toes off ground and leg would shake uncontrolably, either a whole lot or just to where a person can feel it thereselves. Do it to other leg and it rest normally. Is this a good way to describe what is happening in Clonus?.

Leave it to the experts.

I do have a quick question if anyone could answer for me. Can anyone give me some examples of Clonus.? My understanding of Clonus in ALS or PLS is a shaking of a body part (muscle?) when using it. Only one side would most likely be affected. For an example sitting at a dinner table legs normal pointing toes off ground and leg would shake uncontrolably, either a whole lot or just to where a person can feel it thereselves. Do it to other leg and it rest normally. Is this a good way to describe what is happening in Clonus?.

Clonus has nothing to do with body parts shaking when they are being used. It is a series of alternating contractions and relaxations that occur when a muscle is stretched. It is a manifestation of the hyperreflexia that occurs when signals from the upper motor neurons in the brain to the lower motor neurons in the spinal cord are disrupted.

So, the answer to your question is "No, what you have written here is not a good description of clonus." You may be describing tremors or you may be describing the effects of fatigue in your leg extensor muscles (e.g., the quadriceps muscle in your thigh), but you are not describing clonus in any shape or form. Unless your doctor has told you that you have pathologically brisk reflexes, you won't see clonus in your own muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back