Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, and that same employer dropped the insurance effective 1/1/11. Incredible timing. COBRA was the same as my house payment. Couldn't get other insurance b/c I had a 4 mm squamous cell skin cancer remove in May 2010.

When you get your medicare or medicaid and if they back date back to when you first started having a problem like they did mine you can call the doctor offices and ask them to refile your bills they will need copies of your cards. Also if you have a paper showing the bills are paid you can call medicaid or medicare and they send you papers to file.. I just did this, I didn't know they would pay for having my Dynavox fixed but they paid 80% of the approved amount.

I have heard several times now that Medicare will back date but I've never found this on their site. My senior insurance agent / medicare rep says they don't. Can someone provide a link please? This would be fabulous to get 5 months of SS checks.

I think what they're talking about is the date you became disabled. This date is often many months before a DX is givenand when you filed. You had to list this date when you originally filed your paperwork.

OOOooooo a hundred bucks to hear a neuro tell you your nuts?! Can you say "BARGAIN"?

I don't mind the thousands and thousands I spent myself, and the 100K+ that BCBS has had to pay, for getting the answer that I would rather not have gotten. But it still pisses me off to think about the neuro who was so kerflummoxed by my condition she told me I must have Conversion Disorder. It cost me over a thousand dollars in psychiatrists and psychological testing (not to mention a three month delay in diagnosed) for the shrinks to tell me the neuro was wrong and to get a new neurologist.

So yeah, $100... cheap-o!

OOOooooo a hundred bucks to hear a neuro tell you your nuts?! Can you say "BARGAIN"?

I don't mind the thousands and thousands I spent myself, and the 100K+ that BCBS has had to pay, for getting the answer that I would rather not have gotten. But it still pisses me off to think about the neuro who was so kerflummoxed by my condition she told me I must have Conversion Disorder. It cost me over a thousand dollars in psychiatrists and psychological testing (not to mention a three month delay in ALS diagnosis) for the shrinks to tell me the neuro was wrong and to get a new neurologist.

So yeah, $100... cheap-o!

I'm not sue happy--but I'd seriously be suing that one!

I have heard several times now that Medicare will back date but I've never found this on their site. My senior insurance agent / medicare rep says they don't. Can someone provide a link please? This would be fabulous to get 5 months of SS checks.

soc.sec. will pay back pay if you filed and they turned you down and you had to fight for it. otherwise you have to wait the five months before it starts. (if you applied a year ago and didnt get it till now you would have 7 months of back pay.) you always have to wait the five months after filing :(

Last edited:
Thanks vzandt - the 5 months is what I've been told. I wonder what people without savings do when they have to wait...

Whenever I think a doctor or assistant is limiting their care to whatever my insurance will pay, I whip out a wad of hundreds and say "I'll pay cash to get the best." It confuses the office personnel for about 10 minutes, but it makes the point.

Of course, at one time, I was just like the unemployed student who started this thread. "What, $100 for nothing!"

Medical equipment, medical training, and liability insurance are not free in a capitalist system, kid.

My neuro referred me to his colleague just to see if she could come up with anything different, my 15 min appt always turns into three hours...she even called my pharmacy three hours away to make sure i would get my nuedexta. She is respectful, helpful, caring and tells me like it is because she is a woman doc and i think she isn't as afraid to tell me things (men tend to think we may fall apart!) I had two neuros locally before that, and if i saw them today i would tell them off! Their is good and bad in everything, even though they cant cure it they make sure to monitor and get you assistance, well at least UNC Neurology!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back