Status
Not open for further replies.
I am from Illinois. It is my understanding that it takes 6months to get SSD and Medicare may take up to 24 months. My brother is 49 years old. Do you know anything different regarding this information?

Very sorry your brother has ALS.

He should receive SSDI within 6 months and Medicare within 5 months.

He is TERI (terminal {sorry}) according to their regulations and therefore would qualify for this "quick" approval.

If he is being told otherwise, he or y'all need to start elevating his case.

Ssd

My husband stopped working in December 07'. He was on short term disability thru his company for 6 months. He used to bring home 750.00 a week... his STD check was for 700.00 a month.
He applied for SSD and was awarded because of the ALS diagnosis. His first SSD check came on June 9th, 08'. The company that he worked for only had short term disability. After the 6 month period he is no longer an employee. Its amazing that this man worked 7 days a week for nearly 19 years and then be treated the way that he was by them. Very sad.
Remember.......that you must go 6 months before the SSD kicks in!

Sis

OMG! So does anyone know if the government "back pays" to when you first apply for the 5 months you have to wait?

When I talked to the SS office, she told me Medicare kicks in without the normal waiting period. Boy, did that make me feel so much better- after working 30+ yrs.All kidding aside, I know it's great that the law was changed and gets Medicare going more quickly.

I am currently covered on my husband's health insurance, I suppose that will become my secondary? It's just so hard to think about what to do for those 5 months with no income. Especially with 3 growing boys!

Keep the faith,
brenda

Brenda,

I've read differing stories about back pay.

In my husband's case - nope, no back pay. Believe me, we had a lot of gnashing of teeth during that waiting period, as we went thru retirement savings. We couldn't get my husband's employer to get off their collective butts and get his LTD approved. It was all supposed to be coordinated and ready to go when he left. But it wasn't and we were left with no income. He probably could have been on STD, but no one at his company told us that. Looking back, I should have investigated that. But we were still in shock from the diagnosis and wondering about the future. His boss assured us everything was taken care of and would flow flawlessly. This was after he talked hubby into staying an extra 3 months at his job because they needed his skills to train others.

You gotta stay on your toes or you will slip thru the cracks. And nobody gives a flying flip! (ok rant done...sigh...)

Ssd

OMG! So does anyone know if the government "back pays" to when you first apply for the 5 months you have to wait?

When I talked to the SS office, she told me Medicare kicks in without the normal waiting period. Boy, did that make me feel so much better- after working 30+ yrs.All kidding aside, I know it's great that the law was changed and gets Medicare going more quickly.

I am currently covered on my husband's health insurance, I suppose that will become my secondary? It's just so hard to think about what to do for those 5 months with no income. Especially with 3 growing boys!

Keep the faith,
brenda

Brenda,

Our experience is NO, they do not cover the 6 month waiting period. SS office explained it to me this way. When you apply for SSD it takes a year for it to go thru (with a 'normal' disability). But with ALS it is a 6 month waiting period. Therefore, there is no back pay. The back pay comes in if you have to wait 1 year for the disability to go thru. I took 10,000.00 out of my business to cover household expenses during that period thinking that I would get the money back when we got our back pay. Boy did that hurt when I found out that I wasn't getting a dime of it back.

My husbands work place offered short term disability (6 months) after that he was no longer considered an employee. Also when Don's short term disability ran out, that left me without health insurance (since I was covered under his policy). I have purchased my own health insurance at a cost of $310.00 a month, 5,000 deductible per year.

We are struggling financially....the medical bills are piling up and I've got to get a handle on them sooner than later. Don's first SSD check came last month but it is less than half of what he brought home a month. We are getting small early retirement checks from 2 different companies that he had worked for. We set it up so that after Don is gone I will still have those 2 retirement checks as income.

Good luck to you and your family Brenda..... I will keep you in my prayers.

Sis

thanks sis,

My hubby just retired yesterday, so he will now only get paid once a month. But we will all 5 still have insurance, and it will only cost him about $42 a month, which I'm thankful for.

I still haven't decided what 5 months I want to be broke though! I'm hoping to re-work our budget a little bit, and try my best to get some little piddly stuff paid for.

I appreciate your kind comments and I will also keep you in my prayers,
Keep the faith,
brenda

Ssd

Brenda,

I don't know how many children you have but you may be able to get some help from various social services. I am fighting right now to get Don's doctor bills lowered thru a social worker at the medical center where he was seen prior to going to an ALS Clinic.

I'm so glad to hear that you & your children get to keep your health insurance! That helps out alot!

Keep us updated,

Sis

Hey sis,

Well, my boys are 17, 14, and 7. So I know the oldest one probably will go off of my hubby's insurance when he turns 18 next month.

I guess I will have to take a day off and get the national debt figured out and see what I can do about some adjustments to medical bills, etc. I am hoping I can do it all in about a day, and then forget about it!

But, once again, thank you so much for getting back with me, and I will keep you posted!
Have a great weekend!
Keep the faith,
brenda

According to the SSA website, if you have a disease or illness with symptoms that will last one year or end in death you are eligible for disability. That's the criteria I used to apply, although I haven't been approved yet. I have had progressive symptoms for nearly 2 years, which resulted in my quitting my job last year. I was diagnosed in July this year.

getting approval once diagnosed

Good luck!

We went through our local Congressman for federal approval. It went smoothly as they had an insider at SS to help it go quickly. Still have to wait the 6 months for a check
5 months for Medicare.

If you need help with SS on state level, go through your local Senator.

They are eager to help!

Hi ,
I hope I'm doing this right.
Mom was diagnosed August 27th
My Mom is on my Dads insurance, he is retired, so she gets medicare already. having been living on a fixed income already, this diagnosis is really begining to put a strain on an already tight budget.I am in NY they just (2 years ago)bought a retirement place down south.I'm so afraid they wont be able to make it financially and lose their little house, somebody suggested applying for SSI ? The doc from Mayo set her up with a "coughing machine".Just a side note I am getting most of my info about what is happening through them via telephone so i dont know the technical name for ANYTHING . The coughing machine will cost them 85$ a month, and i am sure we wont be stopping there, I would like to advocate for them but distance makes it so difficult.
My Dad said he was going to check into SSI?Is that in addition to SS? Someone told him once you have SS you can't apply for anything else? Somebody else told me SSI was for those who didnt already have insurance?I feel like I'm in a maze, everything comes so furiously fast.
I wanted to look for that sticky note Al posted about the social security benefit questions and now i cant find it.

Thank you all, for everything you do here. Its really amazing.
I will keep reading

Hi, Deem ... Can't help with the SSI question, but your mom can get a LOT of assistance from ALSA (ALS association) and also MDA (Muscular Dystrophy). Both of these help with needed equipment and MDA will sometimes help financially for things that the patients can't afford.

ALSA offers support groups, and one-on-one counseling. In fact, if your mom registers with them, you would probably be able to communicate with her case manager directly by e-mail, and get a much clearer picture of what's going on.

There are amazing people and organizations willing and able to help.

Good luck,
BethU

Life Insurance & Early Benefit Pay-out Rider

Since financial matters like STD and LTD are being discussed here, another avenue to explore is your life insurance policy to see if there is a clause or rider that stipulates partial benefit pay-out in the case of terminal illness. Life insurance is designed for income replacement of the bread winner and a lot of term policies offer up to a 40% early payout (with term policies this amount would not have to be paid back or considered a loan against the policy). I say this because my policy offers this early benefit payout. Just another avenue to explore.

Also, if your policy has a cash value built up, beware of withdrawing that money. In a lot of whole life, variable life, universal life policies, the death benefit will either be the face amount of the policy OR the cash value that has been built up. Rarely will you get the cash value as it is kept by the insurance company. If you withdraw your cash value, it could be considered a "loan" and could be subracted from the face amount upon death benefit pay-out.

In other words, if you had $10,000 cash built up in your policy and you take that out to pay bills with. The insurance company considers this a $10,000 loan and will charge you interest (even though it was your savings you withdrew from). If the face amount of the policy is $100,000, you may only receive $90,000 in total payout (minus interest charged to you on your $10,000 withdrawl - even though it was your savings to begin with). I used to be a licensed insurance agent (only sold term).

Please read your policies and ask your insurance agent for any clarity or contact the claims department of the company. They know what your policy contains and can help. Its a tough topic but you would be amazed how these policies can surprise you.

Zaphoon

deem,

Please, Please have your parents file for a financial waiver from the Durable Medical Equipment company that is providing the cough assist and other equipment. If your parents talk with the provider and explain their situation, surely they will help out.

I know it's not easy to do such a thing, but our local DME provider recommended we do this. They do not have to justify to Medicare, only if they are audited. You just have to fill out the paperwork!

SSDI is Social Security Disability Insurance, which with diagnosed of ALS is automatic approval, but a wait of 6 months for first check. SSI is Supplemental Security Income, which they could qualify for if they have very limited income. Social Security does not count their house or car as an asset.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back