00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Worcester
Hello,
Ok so I was diagnosed with fnd benign fasciculation syndrome back in 2016. Fast forward to today I have a slipped vertebrae in the l5 s1 part of the vertebrae. I had tingling in the legs with little pain in the back. This all happened four days ago. What brings me here is that I have that tingling all up the right side of my body including head, fasciculations all over. My left leg buckled today and the right side of my face feels numb. I don't think this is related to the injury as l5s1 is usually pain and tingling of lower body only. And it's only grade 1 which is very early. My question is did anyone start out als this way rapid progressing tingling and numbness with fasciculations? I am going to a spine clinic but they are ultimately gonna want to do a spinal fusion. Very invasive and very painful. I don't wanna go through that if I already have this. My plan is to put this off as long as I can to see if there is progression beyond the scope of my situation. Thoughts??

Hi Sarah-

This link will answer your questions: Read Before Posting. In short, what you report is not how ALS starts. You state sensory issues- which is something other than ALS. Sounds like you might need to visit with the doctor about your concerns if this came on suddenly, as this sounds more like a spine issue.

Take care

I would definitely get a second surgical opinion at a different center for anything like a spinal fusion. Those are going out of fashion for good reason. I'm not prejudging what you need, but spine surgery....second opinion. But agree this doesn't sound like ALS.

Sometimes a spine injury wakes up some peripheral nerves -- kind of when you hit your elbow and the shock radiates -- and they go back to sleep after a while. If this persists, I would certainly get a physiatry (physical med/rehab) eval before signing on to any surgery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back