Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Fredonia
A month ago, my dear husband Tom passed after a 7 year fight with ALS at the age of 68. I haven't been on this site in a few months because things got very hard towards the end. He began to really weaken over the summer, developed aspiration pneumonia on September 10th, spoke for the last time on September 30th and died on October 8th. I never posted a lot here, but I read everything you all wrote and took such comfort in knowing that you were there. You helped me more than you will ever know and I learned so much from so many of you.
Tom was such a fighter and he was the most positive, cheerful person and well-loved person that I ever knew. In 7 years, he never complained, never asked "Why me?" He often said, "All things considered, I'm a pretty lucky guy." He kept this attitude even when he could no longer play in his beloved basketball league and when he lost his beautiful singing voice. Over 300 people came to his memorial service, some from as far away as Switzerland (I live in Western NY) which says a lot about the kind of person he was.
I consider myself a very lucky woman to have been married to this wonderful man for 32 years. We became grandparents in February and, although our son and his family live in NC, they spent some time up here in Tom's last months and he was able to hold our beautiful grandson on his lap last Easter and then again in July. Baby Parker brought much joy into our lives at an extremely difficult and challenging time.
Grieving is hard, but I think those of us who care for and have cared for someone with ALS have experienced extended grieving that started the minute we heard the diagnosis of our loved one. We all grieve in different ways and I have found solace in collecting quotes that strike me as I am reading or watching TV. Here are two of my favorites that I believe speak to everyone, but especially to us CALS:

1. "When you've been to hell and back, the odd trivial mess or two no longer has the power to
terrify." Spoken by a character in Susan Howatch's novel "The Wheel of Fortune".

2. "Ain't no shame in holding on to grief, so long as you make room for other things, too."
Spoken by Bubbles, a character in the TV show "The Wire".

Thank you all for being there for me when I needed to share my grief. I wish for better days for all of you and your PALS.
Diane

Diane I am terribly sorry for your loss. My deepest condolences.
Tom was lucky to have you. He sounds like a wonderful man. May he have much joy as he flies free

Oh Diane, I am so sorry to hear your news. 7 years is such a long time and he was very brave, and so lucky to have you as his cals.

hugs to you, dear lady. peace and love

Barbie

sorry to hare rip tom

Dear Diane, every loss is one we all feel as we sail this sinking ship together! So glad you had so many good years together with the man you loved. You are in my thoughts tonight! Donna

I'm sorry for your loss. I agree that we begin grieving on the day of diagnosis.

Trina

Diane,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I am glad you were able to have so many happy years together. Thanks for sharing those quotes. They are a good reminder to me.

Diane,
Tom sounds like a great guy who was lucky to have you.

--Laurie

My condolences

My sincere condolences, it is so hard to finally lose them, but you are right we begin grieving from the day of diagnosis.

Your quotes meant a lot to me, thank you so much for sharing them!

Tom was lucky to have you by his side all the way through and he sounded like a truly wonderful man that you can cherish memories of forever now.

hugs

Our condolences, Diane. 7 years is a long battle, but with you he won the war and is now free.

Max & Sandy

I am sorry to hear of your loss Diane. Tom was so lucky to have you. I will pray for comfort for you and your loved one's during this so difficult time. Hugs, Ki

Very sorry for your loss. Praying for peace and comfort in your time of grief.

Prayers of peace love and comfort for you Diane!

Diane, your words are beautiful and I'm glad you shared them. Welcome back--I hope you continue to find solace among those of us who face what you've been through. Wishing you peace and comfort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back