Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
OK
City
Cleveland
Has anyone heard of or used Lotsahelpinghands.com?

It was suggested to be by an RN that volunteers to help PALS and CALS. She is a wonderful resource. I am hoping this website will be as well. My best friend is going to coordinate resources by emailing when we have added things Cliff and I need on the calendar. Then they can go to the calendar and volunteer if they like.

I am hoping it is going to be very helpful.

Just wondered if anyone has used it?

We did. It worked fine. You may find that certain tasks just don't get picked It was not that they were difficult or unpleasant but apparently not a match for any of our members. Also people certainly dropped by the wayside as we had it going for several years but it was definitely a help.

I would suggest that whenever someone says let me know what I can do you get them signed up. Also a variety of possible activities that can be done at different times of the day. Even better things that can be done flexibly such as grocery shopping anytime monday or Tuesday ( which if I remember had to go into the description as you have to assign a time slot).

As a PALS without a CALS, I created a site for myself on lotsa helping hands. About 30 people signed up. About 4 are active in it. So far, it was giving me rides to and from my ALS doctor and other medical appointments. At first, it was very hard because people needed technical assistance to understand how to sign up and it was like I was back teaching in the classroom. It's best to get at least two administrators to run it for you. That in itself will be a big help. You can still be an administrator but others will be able to answer technical question or post updates for you and your PALS.

I haven't used it for anything other than rides yet but I also set one up for a friend who lived alone with pancreatic cancer. She passed away in September but it helped her with food and rides.

Thanks for the info Kim!

I know when the weather gets warmer, I will need help with yard work. There are also alot of things around the house that Cliff has always done that I will need help with.

I am hoping we can get people to sign up to come hang out with him some too.

We will see how it works. 30 people signed up today. I know only a few will truly help but hopefully it will help where I don't have to ask people individually.

I will update when I start adding things to the calendar and let you all know how it is going.

It might help if you uploaded the ALS Project Document. That will guide people in letting them know types of things that need doing. Some people are willing but they don't understand what is needed.

For me it is very hard to ask for help but harder to try to get by without it. I've had relatives (from up North) and friends (from here) tell me to "just hire people and save your friends for company." Well, if I win the lotto tomorrow, I plan on doing that but I don't have the resources to hire a full-time helper.

I'm uploading the document. A few other PALS want to add their stories and I will do that after the holidays.

Attachments

• Titus ALS Awareness Project.pdf
    899.9 KB · Views: 232
I have known people who have used it with great success, and some with only a bit of success. Of course it's a tool, so how well it is used is the key.

It has the potential for sure and you can use it to keep people updated as well, so build your helpers into a little community.

I hope you find it really helps get those things done that you need help with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back