Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
MA
City
Andover
Hi My name is Tyler and I fear I may have JALS. I have fasciculations in random parts of my body but have had one big one while I was in a panic attack about this in my thigh. I feel like my legs feel weak but they aren’t I still have pretty good grip. I have been getting random pains in my hands while I play video games. I feel like my arms have been tight on top but nothing come of it. I have been congested for over a month now and have trouble breathing. Although I know that it’s probably the gerd I’ve been diagnosed with I also feel like I’m messing up speaking more frequently than I already do, due to my adhd and anxiety. My life has been hell and I can’t stop freaking out. I have an appointment with a neurologist soon but I live everyday wondering if I’m within the less than a few hundred people in my age bracket with this condition. Any help would be wonderful thank you all and good luck to those who have.

Hi there-

Please read here: Read Before Posting to reassure yourself about things- sensory issues like pain or non- neurological issues like congestion and GERD point away from ALS. Twitching is caused by many things, despite what Dr Google may serve you up.

If you are feeling congested and struggling with breathing as a result, this sounds more like a virus. Sounds like you're having a really tough time with things, and congestion for a month must be really uncomfortable, so a trip to the doctor may be in order to see if there are some ways to help with that.

Take care

Hey, Tyler, this isn't sounding at all like ALS. I'd make sure you're on top of the GERD, ADHD, and anxiety -all can mess up your sleep, which makes everything worse. Same for congestion.

It can help to call a friend or someone you trust and just walk through your fears with them. These feelings are very real to you, but they are very unfounded to me. But you've got plenty of issues that can probably use a little more work, which really pays off when you think about how many years are ahead.

That might include limiting video games and spending more time out in nature and exercising some different muscles.

I am 24 years old and I’m scared I have ALS. Firstly my heart goes out to everyone afflicted and there caretakers who are going through difficult times. I have been experiencing fasciculations all over but they started in my left quad I have been messing up my words when talking ( not slurring) my legs and arms feel weak but they aren’t. I sat down in a car for too long and my right leg on top almost like cramped up to the point where movement in my leg and toes was very slow. I have had trouble taking a deep breath for well over a month now. The left side of my cheeks and lips quiver when I smile for a picture. I’ve been having nasal congestion for well over a month as well. Ive noticed the bulk of my muscle in my abs biceps and maybe legs ( cant really tell ) has disappeared very quickly all within the timeframe of sept 24th till today. My fingers feel stiff but I’m still able to play video games. I’m so young and I want to be able to change and give the world all I can and I’m scared. Can anyone give me any insight please.

Hi Tyler-

I've moved your post to your already open thread. You received a reply (see above) from Laurie a week ago.

Take care

Thank you so much and to the other person who took time to comment it means a lot. Problem is I’ve been to the doctors a ton of times and they can’t find anything I’ve had blood tests urine tests etc many many times over the past month and a half or so. And it feels like I’m getting worse and it’s so crazy to me that anything it seems like can be a symptom or sign of als. From excessive yawning or being unable to breathe deeply just little things that you wouldn’t think twice about normally. I’ve noticed my muscles in my abdomen are no longer visible and very squishy in just a few short days. New symptoms like the left side of my mouth twitching while I smile and feeling like my fingers are stiff are also occurring I feel like I can’t escape

Yup, that would be pretty crazy if "anything could be a sign of ALS." Anything can be a sign of anything, by that logic. What matters is how things fit together, testing, your exam, and lots of "little things" that you aren't going to read online, that are still true.

You sound like someone who needs to check in with a <different> counselor, drink a big real fruit smoothie slowly, take some deep breaths, do some stretching, get a good night's sleep, and chill. A lot of time docs don't find anything. That's excellent and not a problem except in your mind.

GERD and ADHD can also screw with your sleep and make all the little physical things worse.

You can definitely escape this web of fear, but it may take some help. You don't need to escape ALS, because you flat out don't have it, which I'm sure the neurologist will discuss. Ask them your toughest questions; there's nothing to be afraid of.

It started with not being able to take deep breaths and then congestion. Now it’s body wide fasciculations. My neuro said I have 2 pinched ulnar nerves. How is that even possible? I’m fumbling over words. My limbs get tired very quickly. My smile feels crooked. I’m less than 3 months into this and I feel like my life is spiraling. I know pain is a later symptom but my whole body in different areas either has tender muscles or pain when I move. The anxiety has gone away for the most part. But how on earth do you get 2 pinched nerves at the same time. I haven’t tripped or fallen but I feel like I haven’t been properly balanced in a while. I’m scared idk what to do.

It is most certainly possible to have bilateral pinched nerves. How was that diagnosis made? What tests have you had and what were the results? What did your clinical exam show?

You may upload any relevant notes or results but be sure to remove your name wherever it appears.

Tender muscles, pain congestion and all over symptoms do not sound like ALS and apparently the neurologist did not find areas of concern pointing to ALS either

I had an emg and a ncv. He told me there is nothing to suggest ALS at the time and told me the two tests on my legs were completely clean. I just still feel the way I do and I haven’t had any really strenuous activities since this all started at the end of September. So I can’t recall a time where I may have hurt my self to have pinched nerves on both my elbows. I don’t think I’m getting any worse but I also can’t see anything that would suggest I’m getting better either. It doesn’t eat me alive like it used to but every now and again I get caught in a spiral

You don’t need an acute injury to have the pinched nerves. It could be as simple as pressure on your forearms or elbows by leaning or poor positioning whilst keyboarding or other activity

Since this is affecting you so much ask fr counseling to help avoid more spirals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back