I got a mini-button!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine's alot further from my belly button!

Thank you so much Rose I am going to talk to doc about getting that. I have had mine since aug and still have granulation. Just keep cleaning. Had my husband cut about. 8 inches off of it after I read Dianes post on it. Much better now but the button. Would be so much better. Love the pictures. Thank You
Felica

Thanks for the picks, you are right they do take some of the mystery away.

Mine is in the same place yours is Rose

Tom, What do you mean that yours is further from your belly button, do you mean more to the side or higher (just curious)

Felica, did cutting some of the tube off help? Try that cream, the generic version is very inexpensive, and it helped me so much.

I found this, although it is written for parents of infants, it is interesting, and explains about placement, choice of PEG tubes, how they differ, etc. However, it does not show the type peg typically received by PALS, it shows a rectangular bar style. What is helpful is explanation of timing as far as replacing initial tube with another style, and how to recognize and treat possible problems with the surrounding skin.
New Page 0

That is great Rose, I was not even aware that they could do that. Thank you for educating me.

Diane,
It's higher and to the left, my left, definitely on the upper side of my gut.

Rose does that really make you an inzee now? ;)

Thank you Rose. I will check out that cream. Yes cutting it off helped a lot now it is only about 5 or6 inches and will tuck rigbran to my bra when I wear one.... when I don't at home I just let Hang not long enough for me to catch and pull anymore much much better my husband has gone right now to get me a hospital bed found. Total electric one on craigs list for 200. Much better than going through Medicare lol

Hi Diane, looking good. I just want to add something about previous conversations on granulation, infection etc. As you know Laurence has had pneumonia and was on IV antibiotics. His PEG site has completely healed! No redness, no puss, no 'stomach juices', no granulation... just a nice, neat, healed skin. The difference is dramatic (e.g. like a difference between a sore, raw piercing on the day it is done and one that is healed and ten years old). I personally think it is the ton of antibiotics that he had been given. And I hope this lasts...

Dani

LOL yes, I'm all inziee now :p

Dani,

How nice to hear that Laurence had something good to come of the pneumonia experience. I'm really glad to hear that he's doing better all the way around. It makes sense that the IV antibiotics would help his PEG site. Your analogy of age of piercing is a very apt one.

I was reading more about that cream I keep talking about. Apparently it has antibiotic, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties to it... I am continuing to do so much better with my button. And, now that I have extra 'hoses' I'm just keeping a small funnel attached to one of them, that way I can plug in, and pour in water—it takes less accuracy than pouring into the syringe 8)

Rose i am so happy for you! Thanks for all the details as if my peg starts to get granulated I will know what to do.

Hi Rose y
Your link to the infant PEG was most informative. And your hands on “between the lines” info sharing is really helpful and actually comforting.

I have a few questions

If one had a herniated belly button that was never fixed would that be an easier application for a PEG or would it be too far away from the stomach (or maybe to low in the stomach) or would that be a poor choice since there is no muscle to seal.

Also do people with PEGs always pulverize their medication pills?

Finally and I know this might seem stupid or silly, but if one enjoyed a few good drinks of whisky from time to time before a PEG became necessary, is enjoying alcohol still an option with a PEG or do most people quite consuming alcohol at that point?

4efrhopeful

4everhopeful,

I'm glad this helped you. I only have a minute to be online right now, so, real quick:

If a person is still able to swallow pills, they don't have to go through the tube. I can't though, and I put tablets in a crusher, to break up into smaller bits, then put in water to dissolve the rest of the way. Some people use a mortise and pestle to crush to a powder. All of my vitamin supplements are liquid, very nice to not have to taste them. 8)

The doctors choose where the PEG will be placed at the time of the procedure. I think what they do is shine a light from inside the stomach (fed down the esophagus) and place the incision where it is clearest i.e. more light comes through. Something having to do with avoiding as many blood vessels maybe? That's why we on the forum have various placements. You definitely could ask if it could be used, couldn't hurt to ask. My only request was to have it as close to the middle as possible, so I could see what the heck I was doing when using it.

I have heard of folks adding small quantities of alcoholic beverages through the tube. On my birthday my guys here at home thought it would be funny to give me a couple of shots of vodka through it. It must not have been enough cause it didn't get me loopy (their main mission lol) I'm so glad I can entertain them ha ha.

So long as a person can sip or snack safely, they can still eat and drink by mouth even though they have a PEG. I get nutrition both ways.

4ever... arghhhh! my response went off to moderation land. Check back for it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back