How Long Do You Sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rog sleeps alot...the quality varies based on aches and pains....always a nap in the morning and afternoon.

Jen

I have never been a "napper". So my nighttime sleep is not supplemented by daytime Siestas. As with many others, several of my meds have "May cause drowsiness" in their side effects labeling. Those pills I reserve for nighttime administering. That way, they cause drowsiness at the appropriate time. (Bedtime),

"how much do I sleep?" As a rule, shortly after Jay Leno's monologue I turn off the TV and in a few minutes I am deep within "May cause drowsiness" and out for the night. When I awake is often subject to my aches and pains (neck hurts, back hurts, elbows hurt, etc.) but usually between 8:30 AM and 10:00 AM, so I get about eight or nine hours each night. During the day I do not nap.

Luckily (or unluckily) my bedroom TV is limited to "own air digital" because the satellite dish is not connected to the bedroom. I only received network TV or PBS TV, so this prevents me from staying up all night watching movies etc. (probably a good thing). My bedroom TV is also hooked up to Netflix so I can, should the programming be bad enough, watch a movie I have picked out. (Can only watch one movie as my CALS (wife) has to punch in those tiny little buttons on the Netflix box.) (Probably another good thing.)

In my humble opinion, I would suggest rearranging your meds so that your "May cause drowsiness" pills are taken at night so that you can take advantage of the drowsiness provided. If you need to take a nap during the day time, I see no reason not to, unless it prevents you from sleeping in the evening. A, relax and close your eyes and rest, session during the day provides for me a workable alternative to napping. One thing you might want to take note of: recently I decided to stay up and watch a NASCAR race being held locally at Kentucky Speedway. (on the family room TV.) My wife gave me my pills at the regular time and the "May cause drowsiness" pills kicked in causing difficulty in mustering enough strength transfer back to my bed after the race. I was "pooped out" all the next day.

At least, this is how I do it.

My PAL can't sleep in his hospital bed, can't get comfortable, leg muscles are shot, and trunk muscles are almost shot. He is overweight and transferring from recliner to wheelchair to the bed is extremely difficult on both of us. He has been sleeping in his recliner for 1 1/2 years, and is more comfortable. He sleeps on and off during day, and seems to be talking in his sleep a lot, claiming there are people in our house etc. Many mornings he says he didn't sleep well at all. Is this part of ALS?

I'm up to 7 uninterrupted hours of sleep at night. I'll have a one or two hour nap sometimes during the day, especially if it has been busy or I've had outings.

I'm up to 7 uninterrupted hours of sleep at night. I'll have a one or two hour nap sometimes during the day, especially if it has been busy or I've had outings.

You are lucky! I have today just picked up a second script and will try new pills tonight! The first kind - did not work - yet left me feeling so hungover, I could not function properly. :shock:I am so sleep deprived! I have not slept soundly for weeks. Let's hope for the best!

HI everyone,
Is it okay to ask a related question here or should I have put it on one of my own threads?
What are the signs of low O2 at night? He is doing great big yawns, has been for a few months now, a few times throughout the day and not when he is particularly tired either, but then, he is tired most of the time now...
Hubby has up to seven hours fairly good sleep at night, though some nights he tosses and turns a bit.
He has been having an afternoon nap but now, he doesn't seem to need that hour as he is dropping off for power naps after each time he has eaten, maybe four/five times a day.
We are waiting to see the respiratory physician for the first time after his diagnosis.
I've been reading the posts and wondered what to look for...

A big sign of low O2 is waking up with headaches. Once my husband started his BiPap treatments, the headaches subsided. Are you on BiPap?

why do you say that? how can you tell?

I'm just asking for advice as I know very little about the effects of ALS/MND....:/

Hi Sadiemae,
hubby's not on Bipap yet...
waiting for resp appointment to come
everything takes sooo long...
poppy :|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back