Hospice Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, everything went great! The "Community Liaison" (an RN) was wonderful and knew just what to say to my husband (her cousin had ALS, so she was very familiar with the disease)! The meeting lasted almost 3 hours and when she left I could think of nothing that had been left out. It was "my" choice as to how often they would come out: 3 or 5 times a week. I told her 3 to start off, as I didn't want my husband to freak.

I walked her to her car when she left. She gave me a hug and told me I should use every service their agency provides for as often as they will provide it, because I was going to need it.

A nurse and aide will be coming tomorrow. We will iron out a schedule, I think.

I should have done this long ago, as the things we and this RN saw as problems would've been resolved easily had he been on hospice. No running from this practitioner to that practitioner, still to have problems unresolved.

I would encourage signing on with hospice for any pALS that require help with Activities of Daily Living.

:):):)

So glad it went well. A challenging step, but obviously a good one. One day at a time.

Wonderful news! So glad you'll be getting the support you need.

CJ
Don't laugh we have Dr. House at the VA! I thought Scott was kidding when he told me.

Hope tomorrow works out well for everyone. Thoughts are with you.

CJ I am glad things went well. You sure can use some help.
Laurel

Cj you sound at peace some, so glad and i think you made the right choice. Love You!

Great News CJ!...Hoping it helps you some, and takes some burdens off your shoulders. Love Ya {{{HUG}}}

I'm am so glad your meeting went well. Hopefully you can get some well deserved help.

Thank you all for your responses and support! I have to check on hubby and get my Betty Boop PJs on! I'll be back! I would like to explain what hospice care could have helped my husband with if he would've been assigned already...so that those following will have a heads up!

You will really love hospice. They are wonderful, passionate and will help your whole family through the journey.
My mom had hospice for a year and to the day she died. Then they offer counseling for the family for at least 1 year after the death.
You've done great by doing this!

10starr

CJ so glad it went well. You are paving the way for us following behind you. Thank you for sharing your experience.
Linda

If my husband had already been on hospice, he might not have suffered so much thus far. There would have been a nurse monitoring him with a doctor overseeing his care. The reality has been ME overseeing his care with ME making the decision when to take him to the doctor. Those trips got tiring and frustrating for both of us when nothing could be resolved for him, whatever the problem might have been.

We grew tired of trying to get the "experts" to help with what we knew were very real symptoms or problems. My husband became angry! He can't help it.

I couldn't convince my husband he needed hospice, but I went ahead with it.

Now, he will get help with the formula that is causing reflux. Now, he will get help with the regularity of bowel movements. Now, he will get help with sleep medication. Now, he will get help with the pain that has escalated. Now, we have a team that will listen!

There is more, but I hope y'all get the picture...

Please look into hospice when you have a little inkling you might need it and don't delay!

So glad that you are getting the help you need and deserve! Hope that it will make things easier on all of you! ((((hugs))))

Thank you so much for sharing! Very helpful! Hope all issues/problems get resolved and you continue to feel supported along the way!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back