Status
Not open for further replies.
He was a brillant computer engineer. Always looking at new ways to make things work better. When he became sick he treated the disease much the same way. Grace and dignity. Always concerned with how we were never how he was until the fear set in at the very end with his breathing. Would never use a bipap tho.....

That last night I remember being over there and the hospice nurst told us that he needs to be in bed, that it would help with his breathing and make him more comfortable. He finally agreed to get into bed only to ask to get up 20 min later to which the nurst told him that he could not get out of bed until my brother in law got back to help him. At this point, like I said, we could no longer lift him and it all happened so suddenly that we didn't have time to get a hoyer lift. The nurse said he was definitely transitioning but because of him being so stubborn he would be around for several weeks. She insisted I go home and get some sleep. Fast forward to 11:00 that night, I get a call from my sister that hospice is out and his lungs were full of fluid and he was actively dying. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So we went back over and when we got there my sister said he was toatlly out of it and not responding to anyone. I went into the bedroom and called out to him "Dad" and he looked right at me. He was obviously in distress with his breathing and the nurse gave him more meds. He still struggled but refused anything except some oxygen. My brother came and he began to turn a slight color grey from the top of his head and we watched as it went down his body. His nose began to bleed a little and he flinched let out a whoosh of air and was gone....... That is his real story!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back