gardening

Status
Not open for further replies.
irismarie and my other friends with green thumbs,
this was my horoscope today from Daily OM soul perfect! :]

January 6, 2010
Healing Gardens
Hand in Hand with Nature
Time spent in nature’s embrace is a soothing reminder of the fact that we also are products of the natural world’s ingenuity. We feel at home in a quiet forest and are comforted by the pounding surf of the seaside. In both the sunny meadow and the shaded waterfall’s grotto, stress and tension we have long retained melts away. Finding opportunities to reconnect with nature to enjoy its healing benefits can be difficult, however. Planting and tending a garden allows us to spend time with Mother Nature in a very personal and hands-on way. We work in tandem with nature while gardening—honoring the seasons, participating in the life cycle of various organisms, experiencing the unique biorhythms of our environments, and transcending all that divides us from the natural world. As we interact with the soil, we are free to be ourselves and reflect upon meditative topics. Fresh air invigorates us, while our visceral connection to the earth grounds us.

Though you may plant a garden to grow food or herbs, or for the pleasure of seeing fresh flowers in bloom, you will likely discover that the time you spend working in your plot feels somehow more significant than many of the seemingly more important tasks you perform each day. Whether your garden can be measured in feet or is a collection of plants in pots, tending it can be a highly spiritual experience. You, by necessity, develop a closer relationship with the soil, seeds, water, and sunlight. Nurturing just a single plant means cultivating a deeper understanding of the mechanisms that permit it to thrive. A true healing garden is simply one where you feel comfortable plunging your hands into the earth, lingering over seedlings and plants to observe their growth. And yes, even caressing and talking to plants. Creating beauty through the creative use of space, and giving yourself over to awe when you realize that you have worked hand in hand with nature to give birth to som! ething, is truly wonderful.

The partnership that is formed when you collaborate with Mother Nature through gardening is wonderful in that it provides you with so many opportunities to be outdoors. You will be reminded of not only your connection to the earth but also of your unique gifts that allow you to give back to the earth.

here is the link to this site if you want to see what is there :]
DailyOM - Nurturing Mind Body & Spirit

precisely why i cannot bear the thought of life with no gardening........so close to nature, to beauty, to peace, to love

Oh,how you all have made me homesick for my old place. I too loved to garden and had some fruit trees. Lived on 5 acres yard site. Now live in the city. Yard is not finished yet. Hopefully I will find a little spot to plant a few things! I have chokecherry trees and saskatoon bushes. (A lot like blueberries). Miss my fresh greens, cucs, tomatoes, peas, corn, potatoes, peppers, radish, onion, broccoli, carrots. Couldn't find pickling cucs anywhere this year. My poor little jars sat in their boxes in the basement. Managed to make some jelly though. Has anyone tried growing Marvel of Peru? The flowers are gorgeous and smell devine! Only open on cloudy days or in the evening. Every plant has many different colored flowers!

Keeker, I think that you are talking of what I call "4 O'clocks"! ONE of my favorites and the hummingbirds love them! Moon Flower plant is another one-grows like a thick vine and has these huge white lily shaped flowers-only open at night and are incredibly fragrant.

You're right! I'm going to have to plant some here next summer. Right by the deck! I also got a few pkts of blue cornflowers from the ALS society. Will plant them too. Do you grow any bulbs or tubers?

lilies are brilliant cos they reproduce so fast and smell so lovely - though they do not last long in flower. Irises are wonderful cos they too have such a scent - and so many different colours and sizes. MY routine for orgasm;-) is to read my iris catalogue - such beauty! And of course daffodils to give a good start to the year oh, so many, such joy. My poor garden needs me!

Peonies! Tigerlillies! I transplanted some from my Grandmother's garden last Spring. I hope that they will survive the Winter. My Grandmother died in 1983 at age 90. She also had a Peony that is called the Memorial Day Peony that was a start from her Mother and was brought from Wisconsin when they came to homestead. It is a deep burgundy red and the leaves are fern like. It always blooms just in time for Memorial Day and are/were used to decorate the graves. There is just one little plant left at the Farm. :[ There was a huge plant that my Grandmother had planted on her parents graves [my greats] but someone went to the Cemetery [little white church and graveyard in the middle of my nowhere Prairie] and dug it up five years ago! :[ Apparently it is a Heirloom plant and very expensive.

Your peonie sounds like a Japanese peony. I also had asiatic and commom lillies, irises, regular and japanese. Day lillies, crocuses, daffodills , tulips, roses tea and hybrid, scabosia,calendula,lilacs,bleeding hearts,lily of the valley,hyacinth,california and red poppies,blue bells,columbine,sunflowers brown velvet and climbing, grapes,delphiniums blue and white and purple,peonies, shasta daisies

Do you have any photos of this bit of Heaven? Would love to see! You have planted all of the flowers that I love and grow in my own garden.

Bleeding Heart.jpg

I will have to look and see in all my boxes. I don't know if I took any. Always thought I would be there forever. Think I may have forgotten some. All I have here is a sea of mud(well snow drifts) right now. Postage stamp for a yard!

The above photo is of my Bleeding Heart plant. I made a digital scrapbook page of it. :] Not to worry Keeker, you will find a way to transform the sea of mud in the Spring. hugs. You are always WELCOME to come here and dig in the dirt and plant with me! I have 4 city lots and would love to have you-even have a extra bedroom.

COeur de Marie in French, Marie"s heart. Lovely! I have one that grows among the comfrey and purple geraniums and rosa rugosa and the pink, purple and blue together are beautiful

Be careful with your invites!I really get the bug to play in the mud in the spring! I just love those flower catalogues! They make surviving the winter bearable. Was in an apartment (1 bedroom, 4 people) last spring waiting for my house to get here. So it wasn't too bad. This year, don't know!

Keekr, it is a open invite! irismarie love this, "COeur de Marie in French, Marie"s heart" ! Maybe that is the "why" that I feel such a afinity for that plant? I also lived in Coeur D' Alene, Idaho for 10 years-French is such a heart language. Keeker, post some photos of your house and how does one wait for a house to arrive? Made me think of the House in the Wizard of Oz! Sure hope that wasn't how it got there! We also spend hours drooling over all of the gardening catalogs all winter :] I had a horrid experience with BURPEE'S last Spring and now boycott that company and all of it's subsideraries which are numerous. What Zone are you all in?

Ok, I'll try and put some pictures up of my house arriving in my albums. Wish me luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back