Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you think I was blowing smoke up your butt? Not my intention. Really thought bruised ribs could affect your FVC. Hope you're still doing OK.

AL.

Can you measure FVC with a spirometer? Or can it be used to compare results from month to month?

Yes, you can measure FVC with a spirometer. In fact, the pulmonologist has written in Terry's chart to always use one because it gets a more accurate reading that the fancy eqiupment they were using. Terry can get a better "grip" around the mouthpiece which helps him blow out stronger and longer.

We bought one that gives FEV1 and FVC readings, to monitor at home. Ours cost £200 but simple ones are about £15. Planning to get an oximeter too. I just do not like the pressure of 3 monthly clinic visits, waiting for FVC result...

I was thinking our "incentive spirometer" was the spirometer we were talking about. Once I took it out and looked at it I realized it must be another type. Then I researched and bought a peak flow monitor -- after about an hour of trying to get a percentage result that made sense I realized I purchased the wrong thing! Ugh..haha. Do you need a prescription to get a spirometer? And if so, what do they typically run? Oh the learning continues every day....

Update to Dani... no plateau here. I hope L gets "my plateau"!
Ann xo

Hi Ann,

I tried to write a message on your page.....but I didn't see how I could. Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you for all of your encouraging words and uplifting posts to everyone. Your light for Jesus shines in the most genuine and sincere way! I pray for you all the time and thank God for people like you! If I can ever pray for you in a specific way, please don't hesitate to let me know! You are simply one-of-a-kind and just wanted you to know.

Take care,
Aimee

She sure is! (Ann)

She has the ALS Good guy or girl gene. What a sweet person.

Ann is the best...a inspirational lady with a huge heart!

We love our Ann...

Oh, now I'm blushing. Ok, here's the meaning of Aimee-just read this the other day: "Loved-One". How special is that? And I know my page was messed up the other day (my stupidity), but I thought it was all fixed. Hmmm. I am sorry. I hate it that people have trouble if they try to message me.

And now for the humor, since you already have me blushing. I can't dress myself, and at home have just a few well placed layers, which unless the wheelchair tires pull off me looks like I'm dressed. So today for the first time, in my mirage of being well covered with a T and open front cape (plus skirt--used only for clinic-- and the year round boots), I saw no need for a bra. I never needed it at clinic before. Today my posture was very seriously addressed, and hands were all over me, under my untrusty cape. So, do what your mother told you and wear those "undergarments" because as soon as you think you're free...

I love you all. I mean it.

Big hugs,
Ann

Ann, I'll agree with everyone else here that you are very special and a real help to all of us here. I had a chuckle about your undergarment advice (I hope you don't mind a man reading about your wardrobe adventures:). I had a new carer woman today for my shower and she is such a character, she called me a streaker as I slowly shuffled naked to the shower hanging onto my walker.
Sorry about the departure from the thread topic, my breathing is surely going down the tubes fast. No plateau here.

Dear Ann, thanks for the update...Although I was hoping for one for you...L has got a chesty caugh at the moment and I'm noticing that it is weaker although still able to bring phlegm up. Absolutely agree with all comments about your loveliness. X D

Dani, thank you. I read (and experienced first hand) that the abdominals are used for coughing, but as long as L can bring phlegm up, the doctor has told me it remains okay. I'm sure the chest is a hard and miserable to have this settled in and hope it clears up soon. I imagine you're very busy as nurse and mother of a one year old. I hope your weekend helps all of your family.
Hugs,
Ann

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back