Finding it hard to be chipper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jenn,

Thanks for your brave thread! My dad was diagnosed today and you wrote all that I feel. Let me add nausea, though. I've never felt so ill. I'm digging deep for that strength I read about.

As an aside, I hadn't considered the VA, so I appreciate that suggestion.

Best wishes to you and your family.

I'll take anything good that comes from it and if you've found comfort from my thoughts and feelings, I'm glad. This group has been sooooo incredibly supportive. I seem to check in when I'm feeling low and this group's ability to empathize and build you back up is unparalleled.

lisaann1170 hang in there the “strength will come”. As I wrote in earlier posts, I wasn't ready for its ebb and flow of the strength once I found it. For example, I was feeling pretty good and like I was handling things and then... my dad sold his motorcycle. Seems like something relatively small but, that was our Father's Day ritual. Get on the bike and just ride... then lunch... and then ice cream... and then home. Easily a full 8 hour day. He just can't hold the bike up as easily anymore. I understand why he sold it but it was tough to see it go a week before Father's Day even though I knew we weren't going to be able to enjoy our day in the usual way. Put up a strong front for him and my mom... and then broke down on my way home and every time that I've thought about it since.

But... I'm trying to regroup and find something for us to do and spend the day together out of the house. Happy Father’s Day to all and be sure to take the time and moment to let your Dad’s know how you feel about them.

Wow Jenn, my heart goes out to you. Your post really resonates with me. My Dad just sold his SUV last week! Crazy coincidence. I had the same reaction as you. He seems fine with it and it just makes me choke up every time I think about it. I just remember how proud he was of that SUV, the day he got it just 3 years ago. He called me into the car and showed off all the bells and whistles that came with it, like the DVD player and how you could program it to open the garage door. Well this past Sunday we sat in the car the same way except this time it was to de-program everything. I deleted all of his saved destinations from his GPS and it just made me so sad. Now tears are streaking down my cheeks as I write this. My Dad really is the bravest man I have ever known. He greets every day with a smile and faces every challenge with a positive attitude. Like you, Jenn, my Dad is my hero.

Lisann, I am glad you found us. I'm sorry about your Dad's diagnosed. I hope we all have a Happy Father's day this Sunday. Hugs to you and your Dads from me! :)

I wish I could bring myself to post under any other heading...
Two weeks ago I wrote my dad's resignation letter stating that his last day would be 8/1. Today they called him and told him that he didn't need to bother coming in after 7/18. I know it's only two weeks diffrence but this is on top of the appointment at the VA this morning where they fitted him for leg braces and told him that he should be walking with a cane or a walker.

This is all just happening so fast... too fast!

Sometimes I get so frustrated wishing so hard that ALS did not exist. I hate what it's doing to your Dad, Jenn and I hate what it's doing to my Dad. My only consolation is that I feel closer to my father than I ever have before. I don't take him for granted for one moment. He can't speak at all anymore, and yet he is more communicative than ever. I know how hard this is, Jenn, you are definitely not alone. The ALS journey will always ebb and flow. Hang in there! And keep coming here for support. Your Dad is very lucky you have you. Your love for him is very touching.

dont forget to visit the hope section of the forums... they might help cheer u up....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back