Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
Victoria
City
Melbourne
Hello!

I did my original post a while ago and since the I've done a couple of blood tests and an EMG.

My intial symptoms were just body wide twitching around August in 2017 and my doctor ordered me to see a neurologist after a while.

I did an EMG around the start of december in 2017 and they tested my Calves, Thighs, Thumb, Wrist and my feet. Only thing my neurologist noticed was Fasiculations and Tremors. She even told me that I shoulnd't even worry about an EMG but I chose to get one anyways.

The EMG was very clean and the testing person told me that he works with ALS patients and the EMG looks very clean.

My blood work also came out clean.

Fast Forward to End of Feb 2018

I started noticing that my throat was getting a little weaker and so were my legs. I noticed that It would be kind of difficult to swallow things (not choking) but it would take extra effort. I also noticed my legs would shake alot and the same conditions applied to my biceps and hands. They had lots of tremoring to them. I did a blood test and the doctor said a liver enzyme that has to do with muscles (cant remember the name) was high and asked if the EMG was good, and I said it was good and clean and he said not to worry.

My tremors have been more noticeble lately and my muscles feel stiff from time to time. It's almost like it flares from being very flexible to annoyingly stiff on a weekly period.

Should I worry about this? Is it worth going to the Neurologist again?

A normal EMG and no evidence of muscle function failure means you do not have ALS.

In terms of your symtoms — fasciculations, tremors, stiffness — work with your doctor(s) on this. You don’t need to be on an ALS forum.

An elevated CK, the enzyme you mention, can stem from many reasons and need not mean anything at all. As Karen says, your symptoms are not consistent with ALS.

I would ask your primary physician to recommend physiotherapy if s/he thinks it might do you good, and to monitor your condition as s/he has been doing.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for the feedback Laurie and Karen. I was just a bit concerned because my doctor seemded a bit worried about the elevated CK (Thanks Laurie) but if you guys believe that this is not related to ALS. I will stop thinking about it.

However, I will talk to my Neurologist about my other symptoms. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back