Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
UK
State
Herts
City
London
Earlier this week whilst driving my car I started whistling along to a song and not much sound was coming out, this is strange because i normally have a very strong whistle. I got worried and panicked a bit. Fast forward to this morning, I tried to get my dogs attention and went to make that kissy sound, and nothing came out. I was unable to make the sound at all and I still can't. I've always been able to before so my complete inability to do it has made me get very nervous.
I currently don't have any speech problems and no problems swallowing that I am aware of. I feel like there is a lump in my throat but that could just be anxiety. I'm worried my inability to do things that I have been able to do all my life is an early sign of bulbar onset?
Does this all sound ridiculous? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Everyone I've spoken to in my family has just laughed at me.

I also forgot to mention that I am 25 years old. I know that there are some people on here who are in their 20s and were diagnosed so I'm quite fearful. I lot of stuff I can put down to anxiety but literally not being able to do something that I was able to before has me very worried.

Also I have felt as though liquid is running down the back of my throat and that is making me very worried.

Past thread here: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/38402-arm-weakness-twitching.html

Hi Nikki- are you still seeking help with your anxiety? You were pretty worked up about limb onset ALS the last time you visited here and were cleared via EMG. If you haven't visited with a doctor recently, that would be your first step- not looking online where you would only boost that fear further. You still don't sound like you have ALS, but it does sound like you are in need of some care to help you with your health worries.

I did get help with my last bout of anxiety. I went on medication and visited a therapist. I’ve been pretty free of anxiety for about a year and a half. However, last time I was able to tell myself it was all in my head. This time I have actual physical things that seem to be happening. My ability to whistle and make sounds with my mouth has decreased dramatically and I have the feeling of water going down my throat all the time. Do you think it is much to be worried about?

Nope! I don't.

Please go see a doctor for any further medical advice. The ALS rabbit hole is a terrible place and an ALS forum is likely one of the worst places for you right now. Please take care of yourself and make sure to follow up with your therapist as it sounds like you're well on your way to focusing on ALS again. I'm going to close this thread. Please don't start another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back