Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, per both Mike and your advice I will stay off this forum until I have received EMG reports. One last update before I go is that I went to a physical therapy session today and he confirmed both brisk reflexes in my affected leg as well as noticeable clinical weakness in both hips, with the right one being stronger. This has me incredibly worried but I will save my panic for after the EMG. Thank you for the advice.

Alright, visited the neurologist and he performed an EMG on the leg I was having problems with, he reassured me that there is no concern whatsoever about ALS. He told me that I still had rhabdomyolysis of unknown origin, and I will be meeting up with him again in a few weeks to keep track of that.

Hoping I don't have to update this again, thank you all.

Excellent news!

And we hope to never hear from you again! ;-)

Thank you for letting us know. Wishing you a swift recovery from the rhabdo and a long and happy life

I'm sorry to have to do this to people, but I just noticed some new symptoms and immediately got incredibly worried.

I realized that swallowing issues (excess saliva) and insomnia usually aren't correlated with the onset of bulbar ALS (at least early), but I have noticed that I can no longer finish yawns, and they are starting to happen more and more often. There has been no detectable change in speech patterns, but this plus the fact that I have lost 8 pounds in a few weeks have me worried (was 173 as of 9/12, now 165). I know I should bother my neurologist again, but I wanted to know if this was anything like the experience any of you had too.

Gee, I dunno...

What did you read in the Pinned Post about that?

btw, halitosis and excess flatulence are NOT symptoms either, so cross ' em off your list.

Your Neurologist told you this just 7 days ago...

"... he reassured me that there is no concern whatsoever about ALS."

Leave.

Last edited:
That was funny Greg, but sweet!

Hi everyone,

Been a few days, but I figured I'd give an update. I went to physical therapy and the PT noted that I have some slight shin weakness in the right leg. This has been made apparent by my slap gait, which I had failed to notice until this moment. I am going to follow up with a neurologist again and hopefully get some more light on the EMG tests he did to make sure that nothing is actually going on. The slap gait is something new, so the worries have just set all in again. I can't fully remember the EMG that was performed on me, but both lower extremities were tested but I'm not sure if he tested my lower right leg. He definitely tested my left leg extensively (the cause of my initial complaints) but I will be kicking myself if I didn't recommend him to test my right leg more thoroughly..

I wish I could say I was actually making that up but it was noted by the PT. I'm not sure if foot drop is supposed to happen gradually, but there's a definite difference in strength between the two muscles.

Last edited:
Well, you made it four days w/o coming back with new symptoms. 4 days ago it was excess saliva and now it's splat gait? That you just noticed?

Slap gait, in my PALS experience, took 3 months to come on and it wasn't something he just noticed. It was his leg getting weaker and weaker then became slap gait in his foot as a result. You seem to be bound and determined to be diagnosed with ALS, although Lord knows why.

You've also taken the word of a PT who has got to school for 5-6 years over your neurologist, who has gone to school, plus residency and fellowship for 15 years. Why may I ask?

I do think you need to have respect for the PALS and CALS on this site and stop creating symptoms every few days just so you can post and get some feedback. You were also asked kindly by a moderator to quit posting and, disrespectfully so, have continued.

I apologise for my frankness. Take care and good luck in your future.

Good bye.

On 9/27/17 you wrote...

"Alright, visited the neurologist and he performed an EMG on the leg I was having problems with, he reassured me that there is no concern whatsoever about ALS."

Then today you wrote...

"I can't fully remember the EMG that was performed on me, but both lower extremities were tested but I'm not sure if he tested my lower right leg. He definitely tested my left leg extensively (the cause of my initial complaints) but I will be kicking myself if I didn't recommend him to test my right leg more thoroughly."

JUST 7 DAYS LATER!

Finally, you wrote...

""I can't fully remember the EMG that was performed on me." but then... "but both lower extremities were tested but I'm not sure if he tested my lower right leg."

You are suffering from memory confusion. Anyone who has had an EMG... remembers it well.

I'd love to be in the room if you challenge the Neurologists diagnosis by recommending that he/she test your right leg more thoroughly.

Please re-read Bestfriendstilltheend's reply.

You do not have ALS.

Hi everyone,

Update on what's going on, since it's been about 21 days since my last update and I still kinda have no idea what is going on with me. Nothing has really gotten better, only worse.

Sleep apnea has seemed to progress to the point where I can't sleep more than an hour or so without waking, had a sleep study done and they told me my AHlo was 5.6/hr (mild sleep apnea). This combined with increased difficulty breathing when lying down, increased frequency of headaches and yawning, and exertional dyspnea had me scared of onset of respiratory symptoms, so I scheduled an appointment at Forbes Norris ALS clinic to have pulmonlogy work done as well as an EMG on the right leg that has been bothering me as noted from the previous post.

Got to see Dr. Miller yesterday and he was fantastic. Went through a pretty thorough clinical examination. Found all reflexes normal, no visible atrophy or signs of weakness. Told him all my complaints, had a pulmonologist come in and do the spirometry test on me as well as measure my MIP. Results were 82% for sitting FVC and 77% supine FVC. FEV1/FVC was normal, around 80%. However, this sat on the low end of normal for me, and since my breathing has seemingly deteriorated over time, has caused a major concern for me. Pulmonologist didn't seem too concerned however, and told me that I was still in the normal range. Hard to shake off that worry still, since I don't know what's been causing the change in my breathing.

Had a right leg EMG/NCS done by Dr. Miller and his assistant. They were pretty thorough, tested the entire leg and even part of my spine. NCS came out completely normal. EMG was MUCH louder than the EMG done on my left leg, but at the end of it, Dr. Miller told me that it was nothing to worry about and he was "99.9% sure" I didn't have ALS. So cool, I don't have ALS, I probably shouldn't even be making this update. However, I still don't understand what's going on with my body. Haven't had a good night of sleep in months.

Not sure how much of this is caused by anxiety, but I know anxiety is not helping. I've seen a psychiatrist and am going to start scheduling regular visits over the next couple months.

Aside: I told Dr. Miller about the fact that I was waking up with numbness, tingling, and cramping along my fourth and fifth fingers bilaterally, He pretty much dismissed it but I'm still not sure why it's happening to me. Probably sleeping in a weird position, but it's definitely happening consistently at this rate. Can't sleep on my side or back without waking up feeling like this. Not sure if I should be asking for a BiPAP or a CPAP for my sleep apnea (CPAP is what they prescribed me).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that apparently MIP test was exceptional. 152 was the highest (lowest?) value.

Last edited:
You are being treated for sleep apnea and have been cleared of ALS CPAP is appropriate.

Dr Miller did his job and cleared you ( again) of ALS. That is the question he was asked to answer

Go to your pcp and ask what is wrong with me? Consider too you are recovering from rhabdo

Re louder EMG? EMG machines have volume controls

I am glad you have been cleared again. Good luck and I hope you feel better

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back