Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not working, haven't because I have been staying home with my babies since hubby's job keeps him out of town a lot. The plan was to finish my degree and go to work when our youngest went to school. Well, that is this fall and I just don't see it happening. Life has a way of changing your plans for sure!

>Well, that is this fall and I just don't see it happening. Life has a way of changing your plans for sure!

try to be patient and then be a bit more patient!

>The plan was to finish my degree

At UM A2? Go Blue :)

Still working......have the paperwork in order to go on disability through my company. They are letting me just work as I feel I can and still paying me. Very generous of them and kind. I still go in almost every day but only for 6 hrs or so tops. I can perform a lot of things from home.. Feel very fortunate.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses. This is something I've been thinking a lot about during my long, long wait for my appt at the Houston clinic (2.5 months down. 2 more weeks to go!). My current doc 'diagnosed' me with "unusual upper motor neuron disorder". Probably PLS or HSP, but who knows. So since I don't know what's actually wrong yet, I don't know what the likely progression is, which makes it hard to plan for the future. Hopefully I will have some more information soon.

I'm 35 and single, so I need to keep working as long as possible. On the plus side, I am self-employed, and I could work just a few hours a day if I wanted. But my job is completely speech dependent, and I will be SOL if my speech is eventually going to be affected. I do have one employee that I could shift work to, and I could hire someone else. So I guess I have some options available. I've made sure to have private disabilty insurance and health insurance, too. But I like my job and I like working.

> I've made sure to have private disabilty insurance and health insurance, too.

great! double down before diagnosis :)

>But I like my job and I like working.

me too, but IIWII :-(

Darcey and I are small business owners (now in our 26th year). Our daughter also works with us... and our son worked with us in the past before striking out for Brooklyn, NY. With the PWC and our BraunAbility conversion van, Darcey is still able to come into work each day. As I am also her full time caretaker, it also allows me to continue working. I think this ability to get out of the house and continue to interact with others on a daily basis does wonders for our attitude and outlook. Even as Darcey's hands are becoming less capable of useful work related action, we'll try to keep working for as long as possible.

Darcey attempted to apply for SS/Medicare disability only to find that she is ineligible because she didn't contribute over the last 20 years. We elected to write only one check (to me) for the two of us. Little did we know it would affect us later. At least we're in control of our own excellent group insurance... or as in control as any of us can be...

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back