Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
Eastbourne
I am a extremely complex case, so I do not know whether anyone can help me. In July this year, I had a acute and rapid onset of muscle weakness and muscle atrophy all over my body. All areas of my body are affected, including, my face, neck, chest, stomach, limbs and even buttocks. The only way I can describe it is if my body has suddenly become flaccid and floppy. The subcateous fat underneath the skin has completely disappeared. The onset of these symptoms were also accompanied by an inability to regulate my body temperature (increased temperature, but no sign of infection) and cognitive problems, such as episodes of delirium, confusion, mutism and memory loss.

Not long after I was taken into accident and emergency but discharged after. basic bloods, but no neurological examination. About several days later I started having problems moving my eyes from side to side and my wife noticed that my pupils had dilated to pin prices. After having extreme muscle weakness that caused me to have a fall, I was rushed into hospital.

It was a very frightening time. as I was even taken into the Resus Department, because my blood pressure was so elevated. The hospital doctors kept me in for two weeks, as at the time they thought that I either had an acute dymylination disorder, such as osmodic dymylination syndrome or an acute encephalopathy. Whilst as an inpatient I had an Mri of the brain and spine with contrast, a lumbar puncture and an emg/nerve conduction study. The Mri was reported as normal, apart from an herniated disc in C4/C5, and the emg/nerve conduction study showed no abnormalities . However, the lumbar puncture revealed a slightly elevated protein in the CSF and a blood test showed high pro lactin. I was discharged after two weeks as I was deemed medically fit enough, but I was to be followed up as an outpatient by neurology.

However, during my stay I developed wrist drop, a clawed hand and something called belly dancer's dyskinensia, which causes the diaphram to flutter. About a week after discharge. I did see a neurologist, who noticed bilateral facial weakness in my face and increased tone in the lower limbs. He has suggested the possibility of Hereditary Spastic Paresis, Neuro Sjogrens syndrome or Neuroanthrocystosis.

I am due to have another Emg/nerve conduction study in two weeks time and a somato sensory evoked potentials test not long after that. What though is starting to worry me is that as well as all the symptoms I have listed I also have widespread fasiculations all over my body and mycolonic jetks.

To provide a bit of context, I am a 49 year old male. I was previously on this forum in 2016, but back then was diagnosed with benign fasiculation disorder. I have had chronic neurological problems since November 2020, particularly cognitive problems, walking and mobility problems and intermittent ptosis of the eyelids. I have over the years been worked up for Mysathenia Gravis, Lambert Eaton Syndrome, Mells, which is a mitochondrial disease and even Prion disease at one point. I have been informed that I definitely have an underlying neurological organic disease. But what worries me is this rapid escalation of symptoms since July.

The only thing I can think of that the acute escalation of symptoms occurred not long after a keppra infusion for intractable seizures, as i have epileptic seizures. For two days after the infusion, I could not even walk or ambulate properly and I was having derilum episodes where I did no even recognise my wife. I believe my creatine kinase at that time was recorded as 1300, which is markedly elevated. Stupidly, because I could find no answers to my symptoms from the doctors over the past couple of years, I took supplements in great quantities, such as l-arginine, dicholracteate acid, NAC, in an attempt to feel better. So I do not know whether this has caused a toxic affect on my brain and has led to an acute onset form of some kind of disease process with similar symptoms to ALS. I have read some reports about toxic agents such as lead causing a similar syndrome to ALS. I just wondered what your thoughts were about whether I have some kind of ALS syndrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sure this is very frightening for you. I don’t know what is wrong with you but it doesn’t sound like any ALS I have heard of. There are so very many neurological conditions, some of them rare and obscure. It is up to your doctors to figure this out

HI Nikki, thank you for the reply. It has been a really rollercoaster three years, and for a large part until I developed symptoms of muscle weakness in July, my problems were largely cognitive. I am still also under the Mitochondrial diseases unit in London, but genetic testing and muscle biopsy has virtually ruled that out. My Neuro has referred me for an evoked potentials test, which he said may provide more answers about the integrity of my central nervous system. He is a very good doctor and said that the elevated protein in the CSF does point to something.

Dear Nikki. I just had a quick question. I has a nerve conduction study and emg done at UCLH one week after the acute onset of symptoms I mentioned in July and neither of these tests showed any abnormalities. I am due to have a repeat emg done in 10 ten days time. My worry is that the initial emg may not have picked up anything if the acute trigger was only one week before the test.

If your neuro problems prior to July were related it was hardly early. If this is a sudden new illness 1 it still doesn’t sound like ALS and 2 motor neurons in ALS die before you feel the result which is why people with ALS have abnormalities in emgs done in places that feel fine

I believe there are other processes where it takes time for the emg to change I think this is the case with an acute injury for example I am not an electrophysiologist though

Dear Nikki, thank you for getting back to me. I was actually wondering whether the emg was being repeated, as the earlier one may have not shown anything.

Today, I have my follow up emg/nerve conduction study. I am very nervous, but also want to find out what may be the cause of my symptoms since the acute flare up in early July. Last week, I managed to get away with my wife for a shirt break, but it was very hard to get my mind off the emg. When I have had a emg in the past I was always informed of the outcome by the neurophysyiologist, but not sure if that will also be the case today.

I also have an appointment with my consultant neurologist today after the emg.

Dear Nikki

Hope this message finds you well. Just to let you know that the nerve conduction study and emg came back normal. My neurologist has noted severe muscle weakness, but it is not due to a neuromuscular disorder, but maybe due to a Channelopathy. I am being referred over to Addenbrookes for a transcranial magnetic stimulation test, which should hopefully find the cause.

Take care
Andrew

Thank you for letting us know. I hope the tms gives you an answer Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back