Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
It sounds like an uphill battle as the FDA is apparently being pressured into this but they do have some biomarker data. I expect fireworks during testimony. Hoping for good news for PALS. No date set yet

Nikki J, can you expand on your post? I'm rather new to all of this, so I don't feel I really understand the background with regard to NurOwn's therapy. It seems like there's a rather checked history that I have not been witness to, and am trying to understand.

From my viewpoint

• they met their Phase 3 endpoint
  • they have biomarker data to show the therapy has an impact on neuroinflammation, neurodegeneration, and neuroprotection
  • the floor effect prevented them from showing more efficacy

It's really confusing to me to see people seem generally negative about NurOwn, but very positive about Toferson (where primary endpoint wasn't met), for example.

What am I missing?

It is very complicated. The placebo group did better than expected is part of the issue

tofersen has a lot more ole data than brainstorm and the nfl data was compelling. I know Brainstorm has some biomarker data too but not sure how strong plus there is much more research on nfl in sod1 because of the carrier studies. Brainstorm did not have an option to go right into ole from the trial. They eventually held a limited ole but it was much delayed. Tofersen has a lot of ole data extending over time. The adcomm vote for tofersen was more based on nfl and ole data really not the initial trial results

another issue is whether they are willing to do any further trial. I don’t think they have one in the works. Tofersen already had ATLAS the carrier trial in progress which was part of the argument for approval now. There is also an issue of recruiting for sod1 trials as it is rare. biogen was begging for people to take the last slots of their phase 3 promising as it was ( contrast with the failed biogen c9which filled every cohort instantly and could have done multiple times over). If brainstorm wanted to do another trial they could fill it instantly

i honestly have not been focused on Brainstorm but this is my understanding

This article provides a bit of a timeline and here is the 2021 ms. They censored cases pretty aggressively to improve the reportable results. As Nikki says, when you try to show a statistically significant difference between the treatment and control groups, it doesn't help that control group outcomes in ALS are a moving target, as the quality of care varies even among "centers of excellence," it's not as predictable a disease as many people think, etc. and the trial Ns are small in the scheme of things.

Moreover, anyone trying to trial ALS tx has a hurdle with the primitive, categorical-used-as-continuous ALSFRS-R scale.

One key issue will be the magnitude and range of expected benefit in a readily definable population for an expensive, invasive treatment. There is not enough data as yet to shed much light on this, increasing the likelihood that payors will have very narrow reimbursement criteria to begin with. If you can say confidently that a certain % of patients with attributes X, Y, Z and not A,B,C will benefit at least this much, that's more likely to win regulatory approval/reimbursement than a wider range of benefit and/or a less easily defined population.

If/as approved, this treatment, like the others, will be most effective when used early in less severe cases, again highlighting the importance of early diagnosis, as well as wait times for neuro/clinic visits, payor approvals, stem cell processing, and the procedure itself. We do not have an ALS system of care in this country, nor in most others.

It feels to me like Nurown should likely run another trial if they believe it works. Even if the FDA approves it, it’s hard to imagine they would do so without requiring another trial.

If Nurown thinks trial design is the reason they failed and they are confident the subset they have identified (Within two years of symptom onset and north of 35 alsfrs score) it seems like the right answer is another trial with this group with a long term OLE period.

I might be missing something here but nothing in the reported trial results seems as compelling as Riluzole, Radicava, Relyvrio or Tofersen. I’d also say it doesn’t seem as promising as Mastinib so far.

I don't disagree with you re: another trial - it does seem like that may end up being a requirement.

Brainstorm has been presenting data over the last few months to argue their case - this presentation (attached, from the Brainstorm website Investors & Media - BrainStorm Cell Therapeutics - Events & Presentations) shows their biomarker data (slides 10-16) showing that the treatment did have a statistically significant impact on NFL (and other biomarkers of neuroprotection, neuroinflammation, and neurodegeneration) on all participants, not just those with a higher alsfrs score.

I realize that there was a lot more OLE data for Toferson; I am looking forward to the discussions that will take place whenever the adcomm happens.

Attachments

• CA Research Summit_final - publishing2.27.2023[95].pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
There was just a presentation by Stacy Lindborg, Co-CEO of Brainstorm to Everything ALS that was held yesterday. She discusses the data on NurOwn, and goes into detail on the floor effect, biomarkers, etc.

I expect they will post the recording soon

Last edited:
It seems that Brainstorm is not likely to do a larger phase 3 trial unless the FDA compels them

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back