05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
I met a blind lady at our church.

And there is such a lot wrong with that statement, most of which I am only just learning.

As I think back to the first time I met Jeanette a few months ago, I am chastened to realise that I didn't learn her name for several weeks. I'm poor at names; I know their value, but their recollection has never come easily to me and I have made some monumental blunders! I apply myself to the task; I keep lists of new people I meet in my phone with little reminders beside them: clues like 'teacher', 'two daughters' or 'red head’. And of course the reminder beside Jeanette's name was 'blind'. Obviously! What else? And that's the problem, right there. The most obvious thing about Jeanette became the only thing; and rather than a name, all that lodged in my mind was a single word: blind. What could be more obvious about a person than their disability? But Jeanette is far more than a blind woman.

Until recently my standard description of myself to people who needed to recognise me, say at a conference, was a simple one. "I am tall", I would say; sometimes adding, "The tallest person in the building” without much chance of inaccuracy. Today my height is unchanged, but unnoticed. How shall I describe myself now? If I said I will be wearing a red scarf, I could well be overlooked in my wheelchair because the person would be expecting to see a 'normal' person in a red scarf. If I said anything other than "I will be in a wheelchair" I feel I would be invisible. Or, to put it another way, I am expected to describe myself in terms of my disability. Normality is such a common, pervasive condition that disability stands out like a sore thumb. It will frequently be the most remarkable thing about a person, and so the sequence of blind reduction begins.

Which leads to a fascinating question: Why is it that people raise their voices when they speak to people in wheelchairs? There may be only a handful of people who unwittingly assume that limited mobility equates to limited hearing; but never the less I have experienced this strange phenomenon on numerous occasions. I have to say it: even one or two of my family occasionally do it! I suspect it stems from an unconscious globalization of disability; or a failure to distinguish between the many subtle hues disability takes. I understand all too well how easy it is to fall into this trap: ‘disability' is a collective term that is easy to misuse. We have schools for the disabled, disabled taxis (an odd expression!) and disability services - all terms which aggregate us into one large, homogenous mass. We, the disabled.

It's all rather subtle. Last week I carefully descended a set of aircraft stairs to find, alarmingly, a red Qantas wheelchair awaiting me; while some way off an elderly fellow passenger was happily ensconced in Bugger!* Having righted that awkward wrong I took my lawful seat, expecting to be ferried, as usual, by the buggy that runs into the terminal. But the buggy didn’t come, and the airline staff who were waiting with us consulted each other and said, "Let’s just push them in". I imagine able bodied passengers would have been advised of the change of plans. As a matter of courtesy some explanation would have been offered. But there was no need to secure the cooperation of my elderly companion and I; we just needed pushing. And so off we were pushed. I am not complaining - I am amazed by the provisions that airlines and many other organizations make – but I understand how simply reduction happens. It’s interesting how life changes when you lose a little autonomy; or a little mobility, or a little anything.

Jeanette is, of course, obviously, far more than a blind woman. She is a person of faith who finds and befriends others. She is a thinker, a student, and a musician, surmounting ordinary obstacles to take a place in our church band. Above all Jeanette is a person, deep and real, as are we all.

Reduction seems inevitable in the preoccupied transactions of our world. And yet, thankfully, wonderfully, the story doesn't end there. Painful though it is to find yourself reduced; less can, surprisingly, be more. Theologians use the term Divine Reversal to describe the often repeated concept of the prisoner being freed, the poor becoming rich, the last becoming first, or the hungry filled. And so I wonder if blind reduction isn't sometimes also divine reduction? Paul writes, "Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day" (2 Corinthians 4:16). Grace transforms the very forces that seem to callously reduce, until they become a breath that fans the candle within to brighter light. That may sound a bit pious, but how else can I describe the upwardness of the downward path?

Rejoice!

PS...
I read this essay to Jeanette before publishing it. Hearing it gave her a lump in her throat; and there was much for us to discuss together.

* Bugger - code name for my manual wheelchair.

Roderick.

Wonderful inspiring writing as always, Roderick. Thank you.

I always look forward to reading your posts, and they never disappoint. The phrase, "the upwardness of the downward path" is perfect. Thank you, Roderick!

Blessings,
Ann

It happens to so many of us Roderick, and not just the disabled. I am, here in my neighborhood, the guy whose wife died from Lou Gehrig's disease. Most don't even know my name. My kids face the same reductionism in school. That which is most obvious, and perhaps least desired, is the one thing that stands out to identify us to others. Oddly enough, it's also the one thing many "normal" people can never quite get past to create a new relationship.

Thank you, again. I love to read your words.

Dick

As always, inspiring words. After a week of finding the disease seems to be taking more and more of me - I realized this morning it is really giving me so much more than it is taking. Thanks for the "lift"! :) Blessings, Diane

Thanks, Roderick! Your posts are most thought provoking and thoughtful - I appreciate that your words take my thoughts from myself and return me to some normalcy by including thoughts of those less fortunate or who struggle with other problems that are as difficult for me the fathom as ALS may be for them. ALS is an insidious disease but I find in it many good learning experiences. Blessings and Peace.

Joan, Ann, Dick, Dianne, Carol,
Thank you all so much for your affirmation. It's a great joy to share these thoughts with others who share a similar journey, and I do find it empowering to know that we seem to be speaking the same language with one another.
Blessings!
R.

A good friend responded to this post with the thought that Relationship always Repairs Reduction. How true that is; the closer you get to someone the more impossible it is to maintain a limited view of them.

That's certainly a good point. Thanks for sharing that, Roderick. When I read your posts and blogs I'm constantly reminded how protected my environment is. You are out and about in the cities, and using public transportation where you're exposed so much to varied responses. I stay at home other than clinic visits, where, if a hospital employee looks only across at Phil, I'm amused and bemused. So in my very insular world, I have only close friends of long standing coming to help me or to visit.

Thank you for your post Roderick. I was looking for a place to donate a neck brace (which can be very spendy) to someone who needed one but couldn't afford it, which is how I came across this site today. It caught my interest because my dad had been diagnosed with ALS.

I am not limited in mobility as you are, nor in seeing as Jeanette is and imagine it is very difficult at times. My sister works with blind people and seeing eye dogs. When she first began working there, it was required for her to be blindfolded and live with the blind people there at the school. This experience was very difficult for my sister, even though she knew it was temporary.

That difficulty coupled with the things you were describing must make it so difficult. I sort of have a disability, although it is not always obvious at first glance. I am awkward and funny looking and it has been a crippling thing in my life. This may seem silly to you, but it is very real to me.

I know that God sees things differently. The things that are important to him, like faith and humility and loving each other, etc. is what reality is. And there is a time coming, maybe soon, that all this will be past away and those that abide in Him now will be in a place that words can't do justice in describing the wonderfulness of it.

That's not to belittle the things that we are experiencing...I am very encouraged by people have disabilities that are able to not be bothered by them and find there comfort and joy. I know that having a close relationship with God would do this. I know there are a number of scriptures that show that, but am thinking of the one that says in His presence is fullness of joy. Love and acceptance is such a special thing. I suppose many of the "normal people" out there do not have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back