Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
Later this year they plan some options for the cognitively challenged and for those with speech loss - text to speech during calls and a 15 minute voice banking process. How or if this can interface with eye gaze isn’t clear to me but every small thing helps 15 minutes to bank for free would be easy to do and less likely to procrastinate. Even if it can’t be leveraged for eyegaze ( and I hope it can somehow) having a loved one’s voice saved is meaningful and those with bulbar onset and residual hand function could definitely benefit

Here is more on Personal Voice.

From what I see (and this article confirms compatibility with AAC apps), the voice should be usable in native apps compatible with eyegaze and switches compatible with dwell control, so long as your iPhone has a camera from the last few years. Third-party developers should be able to let you select it as your text-to-speech voice since it'll be resident on your phone. It won't all happen on day 1, but you should be able to use your Personal Voice at launch to say things if you have any means through which to control your iPhone.

Last edited:
Im all over it.
Also worked with MGH to begin voice banking so I have saved phrases and voice fir future “speech”.
Im certain most do not engage early enough but it will be well worth it when/if the time comes.

The iOS 17 "developer" beta, which includes Personal Voice and Live Speech, has dropped and evidently is available to non-developers this time around, if you have a spare device for testing.

From what I gather, it's pretty buggy in terms of the recording process/power drain as yet, but a few users are reporting decent results. I would check the beta group on Reddit, etc. for power management tips if you decide to give it a go.

The public beta should be out later this month (likely less buggy) and the official launch Sept. or Oct.

Here is more information and a video.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back