Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
City
Northampton
Hi.
I am sorry that I find myself here but grateful for any responses that I may receive.
Early in January I started to get a very strange sensation in my left leg (shuddering sort of sensation in my heel) which then started to affect both heels. After some exercise and stretching it seemed to go away. However, googling what this might be sent me into an anxiety spiral worrying that I may well have something terrible and since then (I think!) I have muscle twitches all over my body, at random times. Most noticeable at night / when waking up. I can get them on my calves, thighs, bicep, shoulder, hand and left glute in particular. They quite quick sensations and there is otherwise no rule as to where or why. I should add that I have sore glutes on both sides and I sit down most of the day as I am a laptop user, I do get out from walking the dog etc. currently I feel as if my right leg is sore / stiff but I should add that I am somewhat obsessively tensing my muscles to check for any wastage. I’ve even resorted to measuring my
Legs and testing my
Own reflexes. I don’t believe I have any weakness. I realise that is not normal behaviour and I have sought some support on that front.
Anyway - I guess I am just terrified of the what ifs. I am 32 with two young children. Any advice would be appreciated
Thank you in advance

Go see a doctor and stop self testing and googling. Twitches are meaningless. Sensations ( feelings) are not ALS. I see no reason for you to think about ALS and the more you do the more you will twitch

Get a better cushion/chair/desk setup to help your glutes and make sure you keep a neutral spine while sitting, take breaks every hour, common sense stuff.

Stop tensing, googling, testing.

Hi both
Thanks for your responses. I was on my phone googling from about 7.30pm to 1am last night feeling constant twitches. Getting them now on my arms and legs. I am worried about this significantly and the ‘pain’ I can feel in my glutes. My legs do feel heavy but I can still do my normal things.
I’m sure this all started on 2nd Jan when I had a bad back / neck and tingling down my arms which stopped me doing normal things until it subsided - 3 days in I found I was already asking a friend if she thought I might have als/mnd. Well. Maybe that’s when it got worse. I found I had mentioned muscle twitches beforehand to the same friend but it all has intensified since that event.
On the 22nd Jan I text her to say I had the shuddering pain in my legs and that I was even more worried. My questions to a friend continued to be focussed on MND/ALS (as they clearly are today hence my behaviours). I reported the shuddering again to my mum on 12th feb and pain in my lower back, since then I have ongoing twitches, arms shoulders thighs calves hands, chest once or twice and I am just severely overcome with worry.
As I said I had full bloods done - all normal but isn’t that quite meaningless in the context? I have asked to see the gp and can’t until 28th March.
Interesting that I report muscle twitches going on before January - can’t find the trace of how far back, but would you expect weakness in a limb by now?
Appreciate any support you can give
Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I do need to sort my desk environment out but I am worried about the onset of twitching. As I said this can be legs biceps shoulder etc but generally short lived and not continuous. Do you think I should be worried? Thanks

Thanks Nikki. Are you suggesting I should simply report the ongoing symptoms to the dr despite my blood tests coming back ok. I can’t understand why they’ve not followed up regardless - hence I made the appointment for 28th.

Your mind is running the show here, as you acknowledge. Get some counseling if evidence and reason can't overcome your fears. We already stated that we see no reason for ALS/MND concern. Nothing you have said changes that. I can't imagine why you'd rather convince yourself you have a fatal disease than fix up your ergonomics. And googling on your phone for hours is hardly going to help your pain and twitches.

We are not guaranteed a life without pain. In fact, that is impossible. So if you want to feel better, you are going to need to work on it. Fixating on what is not wrong is not a substitute.

Closing this thread so you can focus on the self-help time you need to put in. Please do not start another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back