Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Chesapeake
Good evening everyone.
I was diagnosed with MS in 2014, with a bunch of symptoms. Some of the tests conducted was an EMG on my legs that came back abnormal. Fast forward to Spring of 2017, I developed “shaky” legs when I walking downstairs, not all the time just enough to have to hold on for fear of falling. This last year the shakiness has grown to my legs being shaky whenever I stand on them in a certain way, now always shaky when I walk downstairs and they’re like complete little earthquakes when I straighten my leg up in air. My legs are like super skinny now. I’ve lost 30 pounds in the last year, have a ton of cramps and muscle spasms. I just saw my neuro and showed him exactly what I was experiencing. He mentioned neuron fatigue in my legs. The thing is is that the neuron fatigue is constant. My ability to do simple things is becoming harder and harder. I get a lot of joint pain. I’m not considered risky because I haven’t fallen yet, but if I do even minimal effort things my legs convulse for hours afterwards.

Is anyone familiar with these symptoms? It seems more neuron/motion related than sensory like in MS. My MRI’s are not consistent with active lesions...

With the diagnosis of MS you would show signs of demylinization on EMG and have noticible lesions on MRI. ALS causes the motor neurons to die and contract away from neural junctions. MS can lead to weakness to the point of non function in muscles to the point of needing a wheelchair. Based on your current diagnosis, and the different disease processes I would look to the MS progressing than ALS. MS does effect the motor neurons as well as sensory neurons, ALS is purely motor neurons without any lesions. Hope that helps.
Vincent

Mari, I would seek a second opinion on treatment options and possible adaptive equipment for what, as Vincent says, sounds like a progressive form of MS, where your disability worsens over time and doesn't necessarily match up with lesions on MRI.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you, both, for your replies. I wasn’t aware of the motor neuron aspect. My MS symptoms, to date, have been pretty atypical. I haven’t had relapses but the symptoms have been steadily worsening. Researching really just scares me and I’d sincerely appreciate the input.

Best,

Mari

*and I sincerely appreciate*

Mari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back