Advocacy Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Max, if you can handle some driving, there are some cheaper priced, but still nice, hotels about an hour south of Washington in Fredericksburg. These are still quality motels, just not in close to D.C.

Maybe up around Herndon, too, but fighting Route 7 can't have gotten better since we lived there ... we moved to Herndon when we came back to the States in '82. We never took the time to do any of the touristy stuff, so it is another bucket list opportunity :)

I'm still trying to decide if I'm going. Even though I'm only 90 miles away, travel is increasingly difficult. I'm also concerned about advocating for the registry because I'm not sure it's done a damn thing in the eight years we've been Funding it. But if I have a chance to meet most of you that might make the investment worth it.

Max, if anything the traffic is worse. That's why I said Fredericksburg is about an hour away, with no traffic you could do it in about30 minutes or less. My ex in- laws live up in the Alexandria and Arlington area so I know what the traffic is like. that's why even though I'm the same distance as Holister is from there I know there's no way I can go. It would take at least 2 hours to drive and I'm limited to about 30 minutes, after that I'm so stiff and sore that you would have to get a jack hammer to get me out of the van. Would enjoy meeting over coffee tho if any of you come thru here. If need be we can pm phone numbers

>But if I have a chance to meet most of you that might make the investment worth it

ditto that!

Hi, Dalvin --

>Would enjoy meeting over coffee tho if any of you come thru here. If need be we can pm phone numbers

great. my cell is 970.691.4640 so if you see that incoming, I am not a tele-marketeer :)

Max, sent you a pm

>Max, sent you a pm

didm't get it, but I seem to lose PMs & visitor msgs regularly :)

My wife, youngest daughter and I are going this year. Like many others, we're going to add some "tourist" time on the end. Might even swing by the White House and slap the stew out of... ah, never mind. Wrong forum! :-o

I agree with the "sticker shock" over hotel costs too! It's like making two mortgage payments this month.

Max, our ALSA chapter sent an email about loaning power chairs (that got a frown from hubby, but there's a lot of walking to do in DC).

>Max, our ALSA chapter sent an email about loaning power chairs (that got a frown from hubby, but there's a lot of walking to do in DC).

that would be great, but w/o a van how would it be possible? Are there rental vans?

Hi Max,
sorry that I did not get back to you sooner. I have been out of town. I think we are at the Marriot (sp?) it is relatively expensive to my way of thinking but, my wife who has been there before said it was not bad. I do not travel much out side the state.

Rick

I would really like to see all of you guys at advocacy days, but leaving the house is getting more and more difficult. I always thought my long legs were such an advantage, but with ALS they certainly are not. My handicapped toilet is up on a six-inch riser, and I can't use standard toilets. I guess I'm just getting selfish with the time I have left. So have a great time, but I'm not going.

> I think we are at the Marriot

Hi, Rick -- We are checking with the MDA/ALS support in DC now. They say they have satellite with shuttles to the host hotel. Should know soon.

>My wife, youngest daughter and I are going this year. Like many others, we're going to add some "tourist" time on the end

Us, too -- both on the front end and back end. On the list for us is the Wall, Lincoln, Jefferson, the Monument if it is open, and the Mall. Getting tired just thinking about it!

Max, have you found a chair yet? If not, we have a transport chair that I planned to bring just in case and you are welcome to use it.

I do have a phone number for a company that rents PWCs there and will deliver them to the hotel and pick them up. Just let me know.

We will be staying at the Marriot--arriving Tuesday evening and leaving Saturday morning. we look forward to meeting you all there!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back