Aack, tablets....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately, Robitussin is pretty benign stuff, but normally, ER does mean, don't chop. I'd still try chasing the liquid with lemonade or juice, or with food, to get a more consistent effect.

Mg and Ca liquid forms are available (some combined).

If you are trying to get up phlegm with suction, though, Robitussin may be counterproductive since it suppresses coughing.

Last edited:
The thing is, if there are directions for use by the manufacturer it is dangerous to tell people, oh no that one is ok do what you like.

If they are reading here, they have just read the difference. If not, it does not matter. And you will note that I re-recommended trying the liquid form.

To clarify a couple things --
Robitussin, at least the bottle I have, is a liquid. Robitussin DM has a cough suppressant but I never take that. Plain Robitussin is just Guayfenisen. Also we've discussed with two pharmacists (the 24-hr and my normal pharmacy).

I will look for the liquid minerals.

Thanks, all.

By the way I had my second barium swallow study today, and I'm cleared to continue eating. I was given instructions which are interesting:
  • After every sip or bite, swallow twice
  • Brush teeth and tongue before eating to help prevent aspiration pneumonia
  • Alternate liquid and solid, i.e. sip some water after each bite
  • Solids should be cut up into pieces no bigger than half inch because we don't want something getting lodged in the trachea
  • Sit up for an hour after meals

OK I'm obviously confused MupstateNY because you wrote:
"I couldn't handle the liquid robitussin because the flavor was sooo intense. So currently my spouse is using utility scissors to cut all the medium-sized tablets into four pieces. I've eliminated all the large ones. The swallowing of the little pieces is going well, as long as I don't get the piece stuck under my tongue, or take too big a gulp of water."

I'm bowing out of that one now, hope you have it worked out to what fits your needs :)

Those points from the Speech pathologist are all spot on but add to them, tuck your chin down a bit when swallowing.

Thanks, affected. I hope I get the PEG soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back