08/2012
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Cincinnati
Hello,

I am new to the forum as well as being diagnosed back in August.

I have enjoyed reading all of the posts and the helpful tips that have been posted.

Even though I am overwhelmed by the diagnosis, I am looking forward to becoming an active participant in this forum.

Thank you to everyone that participates!

Jeff

Sorry about your diagnosis, Jeff. There are do many helpful people here. Yasmin.

Hi Jeff,

Sorry for your diagnoses- (mine was in April). There are great people here and I've learned so much. You will find your way- takes awhile to sort through the new reality. Not easy- but knowing one is not alone in this- proved to be very helpful to me.

If you have questions- ask away. If you need support- it's OK to say so too.

Welcome to the forums, Jeff. Please let us know how we can help

Welcome Jeff,
Hope we can help, this is overwhelming!

Jen

Welcome Jeff...if you have any questions, just ask.

Welcome, Jeff! It's a tough diagnosis but glad you found this forum. I've found a lot of answers, comfort, companionship, amusement, and knowledge here. Hope that you do as well.

Hi Jeff,

Welcome. This is an amazing forum and I hope you find support along the journey as my PALS and I have!

Deb,

Thanks for the reply.

From what I have seen so far, this is an amazing forum.

Jeff

Welcome to the forum, sorry that you find yourself here!

Welcome to the forum! There are so many people here that are ready to answer any question you might have.

When should I apply for disability? I am still working full time and the weakness is really confined to my left leg. I am using a cane but am about ready to move to a walker. It gets harder and harder each day. I am in sales....represent several food companies and sell to the largest grocery chain in the US. I am behind a desk most of the days but do have to make sales calls at the corporate office 3 to 4 times a month. I have already gotten my will, living will, power of attorney and special needs trust set up and I am having my living room turned into a bedroom with a roll in shower withing the next few weeks.
Any thoughts on what else I need to think about?

That is a tough question Jeff, and no one can answer it except you. keep in mind that it takes 6 months for disability to kick in, and medicare too. most here would probably suggest sooner rather than later since you never know how fast things will progress. My husband waited almost a year but he was slow progressing.

Hi Jeff, welcome to the club no one wants to be in! You seem to be ahead of the disease as far as your planning....which everyone says is the best thing to do. My husband still struggles to go to work, and I know he will stop when he absolutely can't do it anymore, so I guess you'll know when its time to stop as well. I pray you progress slowly, my grandfather had ALS for approx. 13 years and actually died of lung cancer! My husband also seems to be progressing slowly, so who knows, keep up a positive attitude and stay ahead of your needs!
Jennifer

Yes, each person is different on when to apply for disability. Waiting 6 months for that first check and Medicare is tough. I applied immediately upon diagnosis but my husband still works so we could afford for me to stop working. SS requires that you stop working before you apply for disability. I quit and applied for SS the next day. When you're doing your home modifications, you might want to consider putting in a ramp if you have steps on your porch. Especially if you're moving to a walker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back