Diagnosis
09/2011
Country
US
State
PA
City
McKeesport
Heard dreaded words from neurologist both in July & today, possible motor neuron disease. Not definite yet. Hoping of course something else. Lost most function right hand, left weakening. Now walking like drunken sailor. Still hoping it is cervical stenosis since upper back & neck pain preceded all symptoms and is with me daily.

I'm an only child. No family. Single. Female near 59 so I know I have to prepare for worst case scenario. And yes I am freaked & scared and don't know how I will sleep tonight. Welcome the support here. Am amazed by so many here.

Well, I don't blame you for being bummed out and for not being able to sleep with the potential of ALS hanging over your head.

I'm sorry to hear you've been having difficulty with your hands.

We are here to give any support we can!

Welcome to the forum! (a favorite place for me to visit!)

Thank you. Learning a lot reading posts here. Lurked off and on since July.

Welcome but sorry you had to find us.

AL

Hi dragonlibra,
So sorry about what they are saying to you about d x. We are all here for you. I am single also, 60 and was scared and confused for a long time so I think I can relate to all your fears. But you will find so much support here, love and compassion. Don't leave any stone unturned, check your cervical area and anything else it might be instead. Hang in there..sending ((BIG HUG))

Thanks Diane. Do you live in Kauai? Envy you that. Not looking forward to a Pgh winter esp now I walk like drunken sailor.

Hi dragonlibra, do you mind me asking your name?If you don't want to o..that is fine. Thia is a very good forum, we are just one big family trying to help each other through. If I can help you or you just want to talk let me know.

Rita is my name.

Got to get out of this pity party I'm in and go eat. Just kind of in a funk today. Not the way I planned on losing weight.

Hi Rita, yes I live on Kauai, Paradise is not always filled with pleasure even here there is suffering, But I choose to be Happy today anyway. I too walk like a drunken sailor that is when I walk, I have a manual wheelchair now that means someone always has to go with me places, It is so hard to lose my independance. But all these folks here keep me sane,,,,ahhh I think...LOL Right Joni! Stick around you will find lots of info here to help you out. ((HUG))

Nice nbame..Rita, and Hmm Diane the vote is still out on that..haha..just kidding. You know I love ya!

Kauai is the most beautiful of the Hawaiian islands imho. Had a chance to take my mom to Hawaii in 82. She deserved it after being caregivers to grandma for 5 years. Mom drove me nuts before trip. Never on a plane. On Kauai she surprised me by doing helicopter tour.

Mom died 1990 so glad I could take her there.

Last edited:
Hi Rita, welcome to our forum... this site has helped me tremendously to keep me somewhat sane (although my family may beg to differ on that one!) Join us at the Come for Tea thread where we chat about a lot of stuff NOT medical...

I also had alot of trouble sleeping that first night, just sort of laid in bed staring up at the ceiling. Not so much of a problem right now. My Dad was born and raised in the Mount Oliver section of Pittsburgh, but I've never been there! I don't know why they never took us on a roadtrip there when I was a kid, but he was orphaned young, went into the service, and never really went back much to see the extended family that had mostly raised him... though my brother is named after his uncle that raised him.

There is a lot of good info on different threads about what helps us with supplements, vitamins, coping with different losses, etc., so hope you keep poking around and get some good info! My SIL and I just keep telling each other "Glass Half Full"– she also taught me Reiki, which really helps me relax and I do feel it helps more than that, but it's hard to explain.

Hey Diane, I walk like a drunken sailor too! Except they could probably get up when they fall, me, not so easy, even with the cane. When are you getting your PWC? I use a scooter whenever I can outside.

Hi Helen

Will definitely have to do tea time. This is definitely a wonderful site though I have to find a balance in visiting.

Mount Oliver is a quirky little place. Surrounded by Pittsburgh but maintains its independence. Pittsburgh is a great beautiful little city and area - well except for winter.

Rita

Balance, what's balance, I am just addicted to this place! Balance would be good. A great big hug and welcome. Aly

HI, Rita, yes Come for Tea, great place to chit chat for girls and a few guys do brighten up the place from time to time....coffee served also and great snacks too...:)

If I do fall down I have to crawl to somewhere that I can grab hold on to something and with all my might pull myself up. So I am very careful where I go. Arms better hold out or I am toast. I think I am wearing them out.

Helen, PWC still in the works, one more hoop then see what price is on recommended one for me, that will be deciding factor, probably the deal breaker too....lol, manual is ok for now. Day by Day trying to be content.

Hang in there Rita, search all the boards, so much info on here to help you out. We are all here for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back