Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Hi folks, I am looking for a small scooter, not a wheelchair yet. My legs are weaker so my ALS Clinic team wants me to find a small scooter, like the "Go Go", which can be taken apart and put in a car. It turns on a dime, which helps too. Of course i have no idea what this kind of thing costs, and i dont have much. But what the heck, i thought i'd ask all or you "wise" folks for info. My doc wants me to still walk, but not use up all my energy just getting to someplace. If I use the scooter to get there, then i can have fun walking, without wearing myself out. My legs are definatley weaker, so I think my docs spot on! Thanks! :cool:

Hi,

We bought second hand Luggie. The new one costs around £1500. It folds and can be taken abroad in its own case. It folds better and easier than anything else we have tried. But it will not be suitable for somebody who needs a lot of uppre body support.

Dani

sharon- check with the als associatioins loan closet. they may have something for you!

Sharon, I am using a Revo 4 wheeler around the house but it would not transport easily. The loan closet is a good idea. I will pray that one becomes available to you.

Hello, thanks for your tips. I am waiting to hear from the als laoner closet, but so far they dont have anything. Sometimes they trade things to get one, so I have my fingers crossed.

You might also try Craigslist and Ebay. There are also medical supply stores that will rent them, or do a purchase plan on one with reasonable monthly payments.

The Gogo is about $600 new when it's on sale at CVS.Com I had mine for 3 years before it gave up the ghost.

I highly recommend the Go-Go 3 wheeler. I just donated my first one to our ALS loan closet or you could have had it. It was still working fine and I bought it used in 2005. The new Go-Go Elite Traveler has over an inch more clearance than the old ones and than the new Go-Go Ultra though which is really necessary if you are taking it anywhere other than home. If $ is an issue, look for a used one on Craigs List. Make sure the battery is good as they are expensive. I used my first one for two years as my only scooter when I could still walk a bit (from the trunk to the driver's door) and it was light and easy to take apart. Now I need a rampvan so I use the larger Pride Sundancer for shopping and so on.

Hi John, Rox, NotMe, and all...I GOT MY SCOOTER! I wanted a GoGo but i got a Ralley. It has 2 batteries, and goes up to ten miles an hour, which when you are on it seems fast. Clearance is a problem, so I have been getting to know the streets in the neighborhood...if its a hump or crack more than 2 inches, I have to find another way. You never notice how messed up the streets and sidewalks are until you are on a scooter. But of the JOY of getting out and going down to our neighborhood shopping main street...buying my own grocieries, getting a taco to eat, and then tooling back home!

The Sisters' Residence where i live, is on top of a very steep hill, but I found a way to cut over and around, so it is not steep. I told the sisters here that I wanted to get a leather jacket, and start a "Scooter Gang" called Heavens' Angels! A friend of mine is trying to get a decal made that has a a red heart with wings and these words written on it! The Sister in charge said she would take a phot o me and send it to my superiors...which would not be funny to them...but we all got a good laugh aout of it. Another sister has challenged me to a hall race, taking bets on the side....until she saw my scooter: bright red and it is alot faster than hers. lol

The rally can be taken apart and put in a trunk, but not as easy as a GoGo...you have 4 different things to take apart, but at least you can do it!. I feel so exhilirated on my scooter as it has given me more independence, which is why my doc suggested it. This way I do not wear myself out walking to a place to do things...then not having the energy to have any fun once there. I am still able to walk several blocks, but slowly due to the foot drop, and some weakness in my legs. It is great to do this while I am still able to walk, so I see it as expanding my abilitiy. Then, when I really need it, I will be used to riding it. So far, I have not run anyone over or put a hole in the walls.
Watch out world, here I come!
Thanks for you tips and prayers.

Hi Sequoia,

I'm very happy you got a scooter. It sounds like you are already having a blast on it. I just had a look at the Rally's specs and in some ways it sounds better for you than the Go-Go. Although it is heavier, if you are able to disassemble and load it into your car, it really offers you better outdoor travel. It actually has a fraction of an inch more clearance and is likely a bit more comfortable on the bumps.

John

Hi John. Nice to see you back-
Sharon- glad you got your scooter and are having so much fun with it. everytime i go to Walmart, i want to jump onto one of their scooters and cruise the isles, but never do in case someone who really needs it comes in...
maybe if i go at 2 am it would be ok?

You are right John, it is the best one for me. I love hopping on it and taking off around the neighborhood. It saves the energy in my legs for when i get to the place I want to explore, rather than wearing my legs out before i get there.
Liz you make me laugh. Yeah, go shopping at 2 am and have a whirl around the place! lol

Congrats on getting your scooter, I'm getting one donated from Compassionate Care ALS... will be picking it up next week. They'd also deliver it, but it will be quicker for me to pick it up. Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers.

Liz, the only problem with the scooters at Walmart is they don't go fast enough to be fun! I wish I could turn a switch so I could really chase my kids down the aisle. The ones at Target go a bit quicker, but not enough.

I"m so glad you got one! I took my GoGo to the shop=-and the nice man there fixed it free for me--I just had to pay the 100 for batteries for it. I have decided that for me it's much better to save my energy--and to lessen the risk of falls (I fall a lot)

So happy for you! Just remember to keep the batteries charged--the man told me yesterday that the batteries will last longer if they are charged frequently. Not like some things like phones that keep charges better when you let them die, apparently.

Have fun cruizin!

...So happy for you! Just remember to keep the batteries charged--the man told me yesterday that the batteries will last longer if they are charged frequently. Not like some things like phones that keep charges better when you let them die, apparently...
Good advice about keeping the batteries charged. I made the same assumption and ran my first batteries down before re-charging and I had to replace them in less than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back