Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
mi
City
Novi
How to manage public handicap bathroom stalls? I can drive the scooter into the stall, but can't close the door! New at this - how to manage? Also, how to manage heavy bathroom doors. Why on earth does the door into a public restroom have to be heavy? If I have my walker instead of scooter, i can't open the door and push the walker (and me) thru at the same time. My husband now has to follow me on every bathroom stop to open the door for me to get in/out of a public restroom. Anyone figured out a better way?

I followed my wife into all of her bathroom trips. Sometimes I just held the door. Eventually I was wiping her bottom. Everybody seemed to understand and we never had a problem.

I did the same for Hayden as atsugi. It was more of a problem to find a single room type bathroom. Thank goodness for the new family/breast feeding type ones now

Thanks for your replies. It touches me deeply when I read of the compassion, acts of love and devotion from those who care for ALS victims.

Debbie

We always go to truck stop restroom. Frequently they have shower rooms with a toilet that we use. If not, they are happy to block the women's room so Todd can help me.

I don't even bother closing the door. My CALS sorta stand guard. And with the door locked with me inside and I fall who can get in. I never had a issue with modesty. I'm a little nudist at heart.
Patrick

Yep, I feel the frustration. Being single it's an adventure when out and about. Often I'm lucky in timing and someone comes in or heads out as I do and they offer to hold the main door. The stall is frustrating to close and so dang many of the doors gravitate open while still trying to turn enough to reach and close it, assuming I can maneuvre well enough to get turned around. One of the UW Physicians' clinics is new and their public bathrooms have a sensor to open but the staff keeps it turned off. And that adds yet another level to get to someone to ask them to turn it on or assist. On that note, if I am alone (rarely) I have no qualms about asking staff to open a door.
Similarly, reception desks that have two levels. One being designed lower for wheelchair patients (at clinics) and another counter height where the receptionist can stand but rately do... rant here... with a weak voice and straining of neck I wait until the person takes the effort to look me in the eye and TRY to lean down to hear me rather than keep repetitively shout at me, "yes?" or "name?" Mostly people are helpful.
There are too many hurdles which have been addressed by designers but foiled by others. Sort of like cart corals vs. wheeling shopping carts onto sidewalks and leaving.
An friend or good samaritan is too often the only option. And I follow the rule of never passing up the opportunity to use a bathroom.

Kudo's to you, Runner, for getting out and about by yourself. As Blanche DuBois said "I have always depended on the kindness of strangers". And thats what we have to do too. Its a whole new world we have to learn to live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back