Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
Virginia
City
Virginia Beach
I am about 25% along in banking my voice with Model Talker based on something I read here. My speech therapist however mentioned something called Dynavox. Anyone know the difference between these two?

Also I'm a little fuzzy about the talking devices. I assume they would all be text-to-voice. I can't see myself pecking out sentences with my thumbs on my Android phone (to make matters worse I have basal joint arthritis in both thumbs). What devices are people using here to communicate? Is there a preferred option and also what will the VA provide if anything?

Sun, the assistive tech people should show you a variety of devices and let you try them out. If your coming to the va here in Richmond let me know and I'll give you the name and number of the guy here on your profile page

Dynavox here I like it

What is going to happen with Dynavox now that it has been bought by Tobii? Isn't ModelTalker a web based thing vs a device like the Dynavox & Tobii? We are trying to figure it out as well. They still don't have a good enough sample for ModelTalker for me yet. Can ModelTalker be used with an independently owned Dynavox & Tobii? (not if the device is Medicare bought since they don't allow internet connectivity)

A Dynavox rep visited me today with the latest version of a Tobii. She says it is Windows 7 based and would be compatible with a Model Talker voice. The Tobii is a very impressive eye gazer device however, as a bulbar onset, I'm not at that level since all I am losing presently is my speaking voice. I wonder what types of notebook or tablet devices others here have used or are using for simple text to speech? The Dynvox rep said a Kindle Fire would be a good choice but I don't even know what operating system is used by Kindle. I kind of thought it was their own Amazon proprietary system.

Sun, I have the iPad 2, with Assistive Express. The app costs $25. Lots of other apps available too, some free, some rather pricey, and a lot in between.

>The Dynvox rep said a Kindle Fire would be a good choice but I don't even know what operating system is used by Kindle

Amazon's Android, still Android, LLinux kernel

Sun, I have the iPad 2, with Assistive Express. The app costs $25. Lots of other apps available too, some free, some rather pricey, and a lot in between.
I have enough Mastercard points to get a free iPad mini, wi-fi, 4G, 16G. What is Assistive Express and is it easy to use? I can get a Kindle Fire for about half the points. I don't want to overkill if something less than an iPad will work. But I don't want to cheap out if the Kindle paints me into a tech corner.

Has anyone here used the Android apps Free Speech or AAC Communicator? Ideally I'd like to find some hardware that is bigger than a smart phone but doesn't take up the whole top of a restaurant table.

I already have a Windows PC and an Android phone. Seems like throwing an iPad into the mix might be stirring the technical pot.

>I already have a Windows PC and an Android phone. Seems like throwing an iPad into the mix might be stirring the technical pot.

fwiw, I would go with thi iPad. We have 2 iPads, 6 Samsung Galaxy Tabs, a G5 and Note 4 phones. I use Win 7/8 PCs (4), one Tobii, Sandy 2 PCs all Windows, no Macs.

I end up using the iPad Air most frequently - great battery life.

We just got our Tobii I-Series. Our Tobii Dynavox rep highly recommended Model Talker for voice banking. Unfortunately, I don't know any more than that at this point...

Jim

Sun, Assistive express is a type to speak app. It can also be used on a smart phone but think because of the phones size might be hard to use. Has word predict, controls for how fast it speaks. You can store commonly used phrases so instead of having to type it out each time you can just select the phrase and done. Think most of these apps have these functions. You should get with a speech therapist and try out a number of them so you can decide which you like best before purchasing any. Biggest differences I saw in them was lay out and ease of use as well as voice quality.
I like the Assistive express most because for me it is easiest to use.
As a veteran you can get the va to provide you with what ever you need. They should also give you a chance to try out several systems and apps for you to decide on. Call and ask for the Assistive Technology department. If needed I can give you the name and number of the guy here at the Richmond va. He should be able to hook you up with the person at Virginia Beach

We just got our Tobii I-Series. Our Tobii Dynavox rep highly recommended Model Talker for voice banking. Unfortunately, I don't know any more than that at this point...

Jim
Jim - I was fortunate to have enough of a voice left to bank and get through the 1600 phrases needed to synthesize my voice. The final result sounded like me albeit in a fairly monotonous fashion. Anyone in the early stages of ALS should certainly get this done ASAP.

I don't know if its creepy or not but your spouse/children/grandchildren could listen to your voice long after you are gone. I remember when my brother died his young daughter called his answering machine over and over just to hear his voice. Eventually the phone line was disconnected and the cassette tape broke.

I completed the 1600 Modeltalker phrases. Voice sounds like a boring version of me, but glad I did it. Think it's supposed to work on different platforms, but haven't needed to use it yet, except playing around with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back