Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
MA
City
Southborough
I'd like to see what people recommend for night splints for ankles... I'm using an off the shelf one right now, and need to get a better one for both ankles now. What works for you? Since I'm not walking at all anymore, and both ankles are caving inward, what should I wear during the day... I've been wearing comfy lined boots to help keep my feet warm and a little stabilizied, but that doesn't really work anymore, and the warm weather's coming.
thanks all!

Ray always wore his AFO's when he slept. Dont know if that would be any help to you.

Do you have a PT Dear Helen? Mine got me with a guy that makes splints for anything. I highly recommend AFOs. I have a picture of mine in my Michigan album.

I have a leg AFO that's too long (and heavy) to wear in bed, but wanted something softer for just bed, not for walking, as I really don't anymore except for transfers. I see some online, but don't know if they'll really support the ankle properly for footdrop, not for plantar fasciatis (sp?)

Thats why Ray used his AFO's (this was even after he had NO movement)
They gave good support for his foot (feet) drop and stopped his feet from curling in. But I could see why you wouldnt want to use them just yet, especially if you still have movement in your legs.
It probably helped that Ray took sleeping pills... maybe helped make them less noticable.
Not sure if a soft brace would give you enough support. Feet can still contract.
Sorry friend. I love you.

Helen,

My OT and PT ordered 2 different types of splints. All were denied by insurance and then nobody could decide what to order, so I have nothing. Now 4 were to be 1 type and 2 the other. I know that 1 type were from a company called Dy na spl int. There headquarters are actually in the town I grew up in. And I even know which building they are headquartered in. When do you go back to clinic? It would be best for you to ask for their advice. The reason mine were denied is that 1 style was inhibiting mobility and the other was costly. I do know the dy na ones were lifetime (I'm sorry about that) but they come out and adjust them with some type of tensioner. That's why they are costly. I know those were for the right leg and left arm. Those were the limbs first affected by it. Good luck in finding what you need.

After trying many things ours was a simple solution - rolled up towels supporting each foot so it does not roll outwards. Laurence uses a pillow to support his calves, from knees to ankles then towels on the outer side of each foot. Dani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back