Diagnosis
10/2007
Country
US
State
West Virginia
City
Inwood
Does anyone have the pros and cons on the bipap and/or cough machines? I am reluctant to buy them without knowing somebody else's experience.

It seems to be the case that the earlier the bi-pap is used, the better. The cough assist is important because it inflates the lungs all the way to the bottom and keeps infections at bay. It is also an important for "training" the cough.

From what I've read, the use of Bipap and cough assist machines extend a PALS quality of life and their life itself substantially.

Last edited:
both good things. definately helps to keep the PALS around longer. The bipap will give the pals more energy because they are finally getting the air and O2 that they need. The cough assist will help with keeping pneumonia at bay- which is a real risk to PALS.

Shilly, check the archives for older discussions about Bipap. Also check at the bottom of the page for links to other discussions.

You should not have to buy them yourself. If you quailfy for Social Scurity Disability you should get Medicare also. Find an ALS clinic and have them help you. And yes a cough assist and a non-invasive vent will help you in many ways.

Neither of these items are a 'luxury' item. For bipaps--check with some folks regarding the Trilgoy model. I know I've read it was a popular brand.

Medicare will pay for both. You may find that ALS loaner closets have them as well. I'm assuming you were more referring to models rather than actually having the products themselves?

Some doctors don't rx bipaps, it seems, until the breathing levels are quite low. Folks here seem to think sooner rather than later is best. Think of the muscles outside the lungs. These muscles weaken in ALS--anything that 'tires' you, makes you feel worse overall. Using the bipap as needed at first--will give you more energy for the things you want to do--energy you don't have to expend trying to breathe.

Secretion build-up is the reason for cough assist machines. Gunk sitting in the lower lobes of the lungs is one of the ways that Pals get respiratory infections--something to be avoided at all costs.

As suggested, the search feature will help with model selection and benefits.

My doc wrote the script because I asked after reading about early Bipap use here on the forums. . The cough assist was approved by insurance and will be delivered next week. The BiPap was not approved by the insurance co, my FVC needs to be a lot lower before they'll approve it.

Deb, and others, my clinic also wanted me to start bipap as soon as I noticed breathing problems. My FVC, like yours, didn't meet insurance cutoff, but you can also qualify with the MIP (maximum inspiratory pressure) test, where you suck in rather than blow out. My MIP score got me the bipap, and I'm sleeping better and waking more rested, and slowly getting used to sleeping with apparatus.
Sue

Thanks Sue, Clinic is coming up in a couple of weeks.

Thank you all for information. For a novice - I have no idea how to help direct my husbands care. Knowing the right lingo - really helps. What is a FVC?

Thanks, Sue G!
Got my Bipap and am now using it for a couple of hours during the day. Using the nasal pillows while awake but think I'll have to switch to a mask for sleeping.
The cough assist has been a blessing with the allergy season we're having down south. A thanks goes out to AL for recommending Mucinex.

Re: Themommy, FVC is one of the test to measure breath. FVC: Forced Vital Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back