jamorel

Distinguished member
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Calgary
How many of you use an Ipad...and do you like using it? If you don't have one, do you wish you did? Thank you
Jodi M:?:

How many of you use an Ipad...and do you like using it? If you don't have one, do you wish you did? Thank you
Jodi M:?:

Don't have one -- glad I don't have one, because I wouldn't be able to use it in my condition without a great deal of unnecessary hassle. They work fine as long as you have still have the use of your hands. Once you start losing the use of your hands, the iPad simply doesn't have enough flexibility to meet a PALS' changing needs.

One of our moderators, rcharlton gave the best review of iPads for PALS that I've ever seen here:

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/tips-tricks-gadgets/15023-ipads-lousy-choice-pals.html

That would depend what you exactly want it for? Mine is permanently attached to me! Apparently the latest addiction are IPads, psychologists are enjoying them. I plat games and surf the net, while curled up on the couch. Traveling with them is amazing. Found the best paella in Barcelona !

The speak it app works well on the iPad, as long as you are still able to type. Speakers don't get really loud, though there is a speaker for the iPad.

I love mine...Joy loved hers. Wondering if there is a way to make them more accessible to PALS or if it is worth doing. I have a feeling I could come up with a plan...but I want to know if other PALS love theirs like Joy loved hers. I know Joy would use the voice program, and she would start typing sentences while I read over her shoulder...I could always figure them out before she finished. Made communicating much easier. She also used the email a lot to keep in touch with people when the phone was no longer an option.

which speaker are you speaking of Cathy for the IPAD?

I saw some on amazon but didn't pay close attention. There were several types on there.

Ok I will look Cathy..Thanks

Do a search....Richard has posted several times on pros vs. Cons.

Thank you...it sounds as though I need to familiarize myself with the PC Tablet.

I have one and love it. But--as the use of my hands gets more difficult--it's less 'handy' for me.

If hands aren't an issue--they are absolutely awesome. (but get the iPad 2 with Flash)

There are some less expensive tablets out there that you can try before spending $500 for one, too.

I bought mine over a year ago--and can't imagine not having it now. .there are some free text to speech programs for it, too, though the name escapes me at the moment.

Battery life isn't the best, though.

I use mine mostly for reading now, as I can't hold books anymore and I love to read, and for watching programs and surfing the web. Like others said--with limited use of hands--they aren't very useful, unfortunately.

Make sure you check out a pc tablet before buying.

Acer has the Iconia tablet running Windows 7. It is about $500 and around the same size as an ipad, though heavier.

Here's the thing about tablets. Tablets running windows will provide the most versatility for PALS and can be adapted for continued use once a PALS loses the use of their hands. They have usb ports for peripheral devices and most AAC programs are developed for Windows. However, be aware that, unlike the ipad and android tablets, Windows was not designed for a touch screen interface. So windows tablets are not great touchscreen devices, but can better adapt to changing needs.

If you are interested in portability, see if a netbook will suit your needs, as they are the best value. If portability is not an issue, stick with a regular laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back