Diagnosis
01/2006
Country
US
State
xxx
City
on the plains
Hello, fellow forumers. My hubby is in a situation we cannot find an answer for.

He is currently on feeding tube only. This has made his bowel movements much more common.
We have an appointment with MDA on Thursday. This means a 3 hr. car ride each way.

Now, we've got the urinal practice down pat. I need to know how you all travel and have your number 2 needs met. I apologize for my vocabulary. I am very embarrassed and frustrated to be asking.

I can't lift him at all. We have a hoist at home to take care of hygiene needs. We have a transfer board but have had absolutely no luck using it. I'm afraid I couldn't even lift him to change a diaper.

Do you have any ideas?

hmmm...Do you mean that he is having frequent loose stools? Do they coincide with the feeding-like within 30 min after a feed? If that is the case, could you time the feeding so that he would have the bm before you left? Actually it sounds more like he is not tolerating the formula and maybe should be on something different. Could you transfer him onto a toilet if you took the transfer board? hugs, Kay Marie

In addition to what Kay Marie said, could you call the doc and see if he/she can prescribe something to temporarily bind him up (Imodium was the first thing I thought about)? Can you take the lift with you (I know nothing of your lift or van) and use rest areas/public facilities? Lastly, there is absolutely nothing to be embarrassed about.

Thanks for the ideas. No, we have never had any success with the transfer board. My back is cratered from a car wreck about 20 years ago and lifting and moving him in the beginning stages. Our hoist is connected to the ceiling in our bedroom and takes him from the bed to the toilet and shower. It is not removable.

Adult diaper?

In contrast to thinking of maybe binding him up with Imodium, I think of the opposite.
Unless he has a problem with eliminating as soon as he eats, could you consider cleaning him out before you go? If he had an enema before you left, wouldn't he last the day out until you got back home?

Now if that isn't embarrassing as a reply, I don't know what is! We have to talk about whatever is necessary and just try to help each other. Don't worry about getting a red face. No one can see it!

You go Marjorie! It is NOTHING but natural and nothing to be blushing over-WE ALL POOP! The loose stools [if they are loose, you haven't said] must be from the tube feeding. So now we need a description of the consistancy of the poop and the amount-you can do it! hugging your blushing face. Kay Marie

Since I went all formula and water a few weeks ago it has been VERY loose. Sorry HW I don't really have any suggestions other that taking a male friend along who can lift and transfer your hubby for you. I am still auto mobile and able to take care of myself but there have been a few close calls because there doesn't seem to be too much warning, when I have to go, I have to go.

I have a feed every two or three hours and I don't know about your husband but I can't last too long with an empty stomach and I certainly wouldn't last a day without food.

Yes, Barry, you nailed it on the head. They are pretty loose. He gets his formula every few hours and it doesn't take long for the eagle to land after a feeding. I thought about a diaper but didn't know how I would change him since I can't lift him. Hhhhmmmmmm. Thanks for all the help.

ok...The Dr. told us to use Immodium in the morning before we leave for the trip. They are going to have different formula for us to try when we get there. Cross your fingers for us! :)

I will be thinking of you both. I hope it all works out tomorrow. Don't be embarrassed... I think we will all be there at some point and don't really want to talk about it.but this has been a very helpful thread. Thanks, linda

DEPENDS? :roll: Get it? :lol:

Hey, got to laugh or cry, might as well laugh.
Been wearing depends for over a year now. The times I did not make it to my toilet were covered, so to speak, and a lot easier to clean up.

Do not be embarrassed by it, we all get there eventually, and need to share. By the way they make a Extra absorbent long wearing version. Just wish I had a potty in my wheelchair.

Last edited:
Capt Al, that is toooo funny and I got it! I soooo appreciate your honesty and for me, there is nothing that we should be embarrassed about-we will all have to deal with it at some point! hugs and praying for a poop free road trip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back