Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
VA
City
Round Hill
I have mentioned before that I am a high school teacher and I absolutely love my job. As Christmas approaches I have been pondering what to get my PALS. He had seen commercials for the virtual realty headsets and he wondered if that would be something he could use and enjoy.

I was going to just try out one of the cheaper versions and see if he could use it , but I decided to mention it first to two boys in one of my classes who I knew to be gamers, to see if they had any recommendations. Within hours I had all kinds of feedback from students, even from some that I don't teach. I had a couple of kids bring in their sets for me to try and students who were researching the best sets that required minimal hand use and were lightweight and reasonably priced because they didn't want me to spend too much money if we couldn't be sure that he could use it. They asked me questions about his physical abilities that I wouldn't have thought to ask in order to find the right set and right apps. They have sent me recommendations for apps and just now, on my school email, I had a student send me a picture of a set that he saw that was on sale and he gave me the store and price info.

I have great students and teenage boys can be really awesome! I will let you all know if virtual realty works for my PALS.
Tracy

That's so wonderful!

That is so wonderful. You must be a wonderful teacher to be so loved. We were also thinking about one for Steve but I do not know enough about them to pick out the right one. One of the things he misses the most is playing his Xbox. He never grew up and played a lot. He even got me playing shooter games with him. We would sit and play for hours.

I love this :) What great kids that have obviously been influenced by you as a person, even the ones you haven't personally taught.

Please do let us know the outcome!

What a wonderful story!

I tried one of these out on Sunday. My son has one. His phone was attached on the opposite side and then you put it on like goggles. It is amazing!

Let's hear more on this ! I like the no hands and would be into something like this.

Please let us know which ones you decided on. I am very interested.

That is truly awesome. Tribute to you of course. Thanks to all the students who went out of their way to help. Looking forward to an update!

I will let you know. Based on my students' research, recommendation and trials, I think I have settled on the Google Daydream. I will let you know how my PALS does with it.

I have been teaching for more than 20 years and have always loved my job, but since my husband has been diagnosed, the level of compassion and caring that we have experienced from these young people, as well as my collegues, has been truly heartwarming. It's hard to work and be a CALS. It takes alot of juggling and reprioritizing, but my PALS loves hearing my stories at the end of the day and these kids are amazing and I love them all. I was trying to find a way to give them all little thank-you's at this holiday season, but I have 140 students. So they all got some candy ;-) The local dentist will be happy anyway.

I will keep you all updated on the VR device--hoping he is really able to enjoy it.
Tracy

Thank you so much Tracy for sharing this story and idea. I am exhausting myself trying to think of a Christmas present for my husband. He is now limited to some head movement and pressing an easy button to click. How much hand or finger movement does the system require?

So the virtual reality headset was an it hit--as you can see from the attached picture.

We settled on the google daydream although I purchased an iPhone compatible one for 49 dollars as well so he could assess and compare. The google daydream requires the use is a touchpad remote, but it is very sensitive and right now he has enough thumb control for the minimal use that it requires.

He liked the iPhone one as it was completely hands free but the set was heavier and not as comfortable.

Attachments

• IMG_5803.jpg
    IMG_5803.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 144
Thanks for the update Tracy, I am definitely going to look into this for my husband. So glad it was a hit!

Thanks Tracy for update . Where do ya get these things?
I don't even have an iPhone but could get one if that's what is needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back