Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Tarpon Springs
IM is an assessment and treatment tool used in therapy to improve the neurological processes of motor planning, sequencing and processing. I started this therapy approximately 2 weeks ago however to my knowledge it has never been tried on an ALS patient before. My research has been unable to uncover any data associated with this therapy and ALS. My occupational therapist suggested that we might give this therapy a try and to my surprise I have noticed some dramatic improvements. Before I began this therapy I could not open either hand, now I am able to almost fully extend all the fingers on my right hand. The data compiled thus far on me indicates that my balance has improved alittle over 50%. We are at this time continuing to develop new custom "tasks" specifically geared towards my needs as there is no platform designed specifically for an ALS patient. I felt compelled to share this exciting news with this community in hopes that others might try this and receive some of the extraordinary benefits that I have encountered thus far. I continue to think outside of the box with my therapies in hopes of finding something that will at least stall this disease. I will post any further developments as they occur .

I dont want to be thinking the wrong thing, but your post just reads like an advertisement, and the 50% improvement in your balance in 2 weeks, the improvement in your hand so quicly ...well... A bit unreal, But hey I am the biggest sceptic of these types of things.

Interactive metronome ( IM )

Ok, so I know what a metronome is from my very feeble abd long dead attempt at piano lessons but what the heck is an interactive metronome? I am in the sceptic camp with Aly, like the saying goes "if something sounds too good to be true (especially from a first time poster) it probably is"

Had a look at a you tube ad for it. It uses repitition with computer feedback to help with rhythm and timing. I would imagine it's very good for brain injury and stroke patients who are trying to retrain damaged areas of their brain. Good excersise as well for those patients. I can't understand how it would be beneficial to advanced ALS cause your muscles would be too weak and don't see how it would improve muscles, affected by ALS. That makes no sense. It claims to work by stimulating the rhythm and timing part of the brain. That's not what the problem is with ALS.
My skepticism is alive and well, but looks like fun

Thanks for the skeptisism. As Al says my mind is open and so is my wallet. lol Not really but thanks to good knowledgable people like you it stays shut, the wallet. lol

This most certainly is not an advertisement. I was diagnosed March 25 of last year with ALS however onset of symptoms were around September of 2008. My progression has been relatively slow and limited to my hands and arms. I have no idea if this is an isolated incident or intervention from a higher power. All I know is that since I have been using this therapy I've experienced dramatic improvements. I realize that people with advanced ALS could not possibly benefit from this therapy due to their physical limitations. We're all looking for hope and alternative methods since modern medicine doesn't give us a lot. It is just something that I want to share with y'all and something that you might want to consider. I mean not to offend anybody here and I too am skeptical. This treatment was offered to me along with my standard occupational therapy at no additional charge. I would be extremely foolish not to at least try this and from what I have seen it seems to be doing something. Something is definitely better than nothing.

This certainly is not a commercial and I understand your skepticism. Al is correct in assuming that interactive metronome would benefit stroke patients and those with brain injuries as that is its intended function. It has also been used to treat ADD, autism, Parkinson disease and muscular dystrophy. It consists of a computer-based module where you listen to a specific sound and try to match the striking of a trigger with that sound. It is in fact supposed to retrain the brain in damaged areas. I understand that extremely advanced ALS patients would not be able to perform these functions due to limited physical ability. At present my symptoms are limited mostly to my hands and arms with some early onset of ambulatory symptoms. I mean not to offend anyone here and simply wanted to share this information with those of us who are in the early stages. Like I said I have received some dramatic benefits and can only attribute this to interactive metronome or the intervention of a higher power as this new therapy is the only recent addition. As for the wallet my therapy is covered by Medicare so that is really is not issue here, at least not for me at this time. I am willing to try anything new to will give me some possible benefits we need to learn to think outside of the box.

Told you I was a skeptic. Ok now I know you are not an add. I thought the info and video I saw was great. Looked like fun as well. Do you do it at home or have to go to a clinic? If it's covered then maybe other early ALS patients could give it a try, no harm done. Sometimes doing anything to feel like you are gaining control of the illness, does just that. Our minds and attitudes are very powerful. I have got much better, since my husband stopped telling me I had a short time on the planet, bless him. He has admitted he was wrong.
So skeptic I may be, but I also have a reasonably open mind ( apart from herbal remedies) lol.
Welcome and keep us posted. You sound like a cool dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back