Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
A bearded man is standing smack outside the toilet door at the end of our railway carriage. He’s not going in, and he hasn’t come out, his is just standing there! He is behind our seats, not twelve feet away, quite preoccupied with the door to the disabled toilet! He has been there at least 15 minutes now. We are surreptitiously peeking at him; unable to resist even though we know how dreadfully rude it is to gawk. What on earth is he doing?

We are finally, after months of waiting, on a train together! Our last attempt was foiled by flood waters that cut the track and left us stranded in different towns. But tonight my Favourite Wife and I are sitting side by side on the overnight to Sydney; the Red Eye, the train that in my university days was known simply as ‘the mail’. In those prehistoric times the train was unheated, slow, and cheap; but tonight it’s a very different affair. This is a signal event for us: the first train trip we have shared in our married life. Little One is in respite care for a few nights, and we are off to the seaside! It’s 11.45pm, we’ve got our thermos and left over Christmas cake at the ready, and nothing will spoil our wonderful adventure!

... except ... the presence of a bearded man behind us is unnerving to say the least. The disabled toilet has an automatic door, and once in a while this fellow presses the button, opening the doors at random. He stares inside until the doors shut again. And still he stays put. With each glance I steal his visage seems to me a little less civil; more to be feared. He’s loitering; no doubt about that. But is he stalking as well? Casing the joint?

He’s been there forty minutes! It’s now early morning, and we ought to be comfortably sleeping to the soothing sway and clickety clack of the carriage. Other passengers occasionally make their way past the bearded man and a railway guard has just had words with him as well. I’m certain he warned him in no uncertain terms: “Move along please!” But he didn’t move. He didn’t budge an inch! It’s the mark of a psychopath, so I have read, to have an avowed disregard for authority.

We’ve got our backs to the bearded man, but I suspect he’s watching us. We both agree that he’s bound to be eyeing of my wheelchair which is unattended and vulnerable behind our seat. He glanced at my luggage. He’s probably noticed the Computer bag fixed to the arm-rest with my brand new Netbook inside. We mustn’t keep staring at him, but then if he’s a clever thief I can’t afford to turn away. Not for a moment! Perhaps I should call the conductor and give voice to my alarm.

I am a bearded man myself as it happens. I fancy myself to be hirsute in an erudite, academic fashion; sporting the vague scruffiness of a man whose mind is obviously distracted by lofty concerns. The bearded man behind us is not at all like me: he is simply unshaven. Dark and bristly, he is, in a word, barbate. I wonder, are all barbarians barbate?

Soon, very soon, one of us (probably the other one) will be wanting to use that little room on the train. What then? As a chivalrous husband I must find a way to protect my beloved against stalkers and weirdos. This man is a menacing presence and I have noticed that he doesn’t actually stand at all; he swaggers and slouches in a visibly reprobate manner. Disability be damned, I will take him on! I wonder if most atrocities are perpetrated after midnight?

Well, he’s gone. I didn’t see it actually happen. I wish I had eyes in the back of my head (like Miss Breadlough in second class at Mosman Public School) but I’m absolutely sure he’s now in the W.C. Why anyone would take the better part of an hour to make that decision is none of my business, and something I’m not keen to speculate on. But I’m sure he’s in there!

Turns out he was charging his phone. Nice sort of fellow I’d say, he nodded to us on his way past a moment later, mobile and cords in hand.

It may not be, I suspect, an entirely healthy thing to jump to rash conclusions; or to toy with irrational fears in the middle of the night. Now, haven’t I learned that lesson somewhere before?

And I’m not so sure he had a beard, after all.

This is clever, Roderick... and I needed my online dictionary, to find "barbate". Do you think that by being in a wheelchair you may find the world less trustworthy? I definitely do. I've found in public that folks are more apt to smile and speak to me...and of course, Phil is with me then-- but unknown visitors are not welcome at the door when I'm alone.

I hope your trip with your "favorite wife" was a wonderful time together!

KBO with blessings,
Ann

Interesting read. I wish I could write like that.

Ahhh, but Joel, God has given you other gifts, and isn't it wonderful that we all have different talents! In the midst of your difficult decision making, you continue your "work" as forum moderator. When my husband was first diagnosed and I started researching ALS, I found your in depth and most helpful web page, livingwithals.com, which is what brought me to this forum. Your home page has been a blessing and the most educational site I have found. Your ability to help and share your experience and expertise with others is significant. Thank you for all that you have done.

~Jo

This is clever, Roderick... and I needed my online dictionary, to find "barbate". Do you think that by being in a wheelchair you may find the world less trustworthy? I definitely do. I've found in public that folks are more apt to smile and speak to me...and of course, Phil is with me then-- but unknown visitors are not welcome at the door when I'm alone.

I hope your trip with your "favorite wife" was a wonderful time together!

KBO with blessings,
Ann

I know just what you mean Ann, but to date I haven't had a bad experience that I can recall and so in a strange way my wheelchair seems to give me a certain courage amongst strangers. Perhaps it's because I've never been able to completely shed a certain embarrassment, and pushing past that sort of propels me further into the public arena. Well, KBO!
PS: without a thesorus I would not have known the meanin of 'barbate' either! Great word, don't you think?

I completely agree with Jo. Joel, your pragmatic, detailed, no-fuss descriptions are invaluable. I think you are a great writer!

My friend Joel,

I feel honored to use the title 'friend', but just a few days ago you wrote to me with those words; and I do so most sincerely.

I have been traveling with my wife and although I saw that you made this brief post I have only had the net via my phone, and I have not read you blog until this morning. I had been reading your blog daily, and must have missed your post of Jan 4th by a matter of hours. Reading it today brings such sadness to me; and yet joy also; only because in the brief few weeks that we have been corresponding I have come to admire you greatly, and more importantly I do understand, I think, something of the faith in Christ that we share. The truth of Romans 8:28 is complex, elusive, but ultimate.

I feel embarrassed by my trivial thread in the light of the gravity of the decisions you are facing; matters which I can scarcely comprehend. I salute you friend; and my prayers are surely with you and your family.

Grace and Peace brother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back