09/2008
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Waterloo
Hi Everyone

My hubby diagnosed 10/2008 started taking vitamin B-12 for muscle cramps, It worked! We have definately seen a drastic reduction in the cramping. Recently we ran out and didn't make it to the store for about a week, the cramping came back and was severe. My hubby says try it. Hope this helps someone.

Hi Shelly;
How many mg of B12 are you using a day? The wife has been having more problems cramping and although the Baclofen and valium definaitely help, they make her very tired.

My B12 levels are fine. If I were to take a B12 supplement, would there be a danger of overdoing it? Just wondering...

pinched this from als.net -- it seems high doses of vitamin b12 are well tolerated and may show some efficacy in slowing progression...

Clinical trials of ultra-high-dose methylcobalamin in ALS.</u> Izumi Y, Kaji R. Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Institute of Health Bioscience, The University of Tokushima, Graduate School, 50-1 Kuramoto-cho, Tokushima 770-8503, Japan. Brain Nerve. 2007 Oct.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=17969354

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) is a neurodegenerative disorder affecting both upper and lower motor neurons. Weakness may begin in the legs, hands, proximal arms, or pharynx. The course is relentless and progressive without remissions, relapses, or even stable plateaus. There is no effective drug therapy for ALS, although riluzole has been shown to prolong life in sufferers, without tracheostomy. A vitamin B12 analog, methylcobalamin, has a protective effect on cultured cortical neurons against glutamate-induced cytotoxicity. We have shown the ultra-high-dose methylcobalamin (25 mg/day i.m.) slows down the progressive reduction of the CMAP (compound muscle action potential) amplitudes in ALS in the short term (4 weeks). The latencies of SSR (sympathetic skin response) were shorter after treatment (50 mg/day i.v., 2 weeks). In the long-term effect of methylcobalamin (50 mg/day i.m., twice a week), the survival time (or the period to become respirator-bound) was significantly longer in the treated group than in the untreated. Larger-scale randomized double blind trial was started in Japan in order to evaluate the long-term efficacy and the safety of ultra-high-dose methylcobalamin for sporadic or familial cases of ALS.

Hi Everyone

My hubby diagnosed 10/2008 started taking vitamin B-12 for muscle cramps, It worked! We have definately seen a drastic reduction in the cramping. Recently we ran out and didn't make it to the store for about a week, the cramping came back and was severe. My hubby says try it. Hope this helps someone.

Hi, I am Carol and am new to this site also. I have nt gotten true answers to my neurological problems as of yet but I can happily say they told me last year that it isn't als. They are thinking ms or spinal stenosis but who knows. I only know that the pain is imense. the faccilations in my legs never end. they occur 24-7. Muscle spasms are new and severe at night. My doctor just gave me zenaflex 4mg. and for the first time in weeks I had a decent nights sleep. I just wanted to mention to anyone out there who might like to give them a try that for awhile hylands leg cramp pills helped me alot. they are a homeopathic med. that can be bought at your drug store or I have seen them offered online. Now that I have read your suggestion I am also going to try the b12. how many mgs. he takes. thanks.

I haven't tried the B12 but have been taking one 200 mg capsule of Quinine Sulphate for cramps every nite since shortly after diagnosis a year ago....works like a charm for me and I too notice a huge difference if I miss a day or two with it. They are inexpensive and another side benefit is you won't get malaria;)
Rick

Kim,

B-12 is not dangerous if you take too much....
It is water solable (sp) whatever you do not need is excreted through your urine.

My hubby takes 500mcg twice a day. His Dr said if it makes him feel better then by all means take it. and what your body doesn't need it filters out through your urine.

My husband starting drinking tonic water twice a day and it is working very well for him; no more cramps at all!

I'm going to try the B-12 supplement thing.

I've tried tonic water with quinine and it didn't even so much as tickle attack my cramps.

I've also tried that over-the-counter stuff called "leg cramps" and if I put enough of them under my tongue to dissolve (at least 3 of them at one time), it does help a little bitty, bitty bit (or at least I imagine so).

Zaphoon

B-12

I was told by my doctor to make sure to get sublingual B-12, the liquid or tablets that you use under your tongue.

hi folks...

My mum gets a cyanocobalamin B12 injection every month (from the NHS) and she also gets methylcobalamin every three days and takes 1-2 lozenges (sublingual) b12 on the days she doesn't get the methylcobalamin jab.

My highly unscientific observations would say that her fascics are not as profuse as they were. They have even seemed to have calmed down on her tongue, and the annoying little pulsating thing between her index finger and thumb of her right hand seems to have disappeared totally. So, by conclusion, I don't know if the B12 in very high doses is doing any great undercover in the brain to slow down progressiong, or whether it is just relieving the symptoms of fascics, either way we are not stopping with the regime.

I used to do injections twice a week, 3 ml each time and they helped with energy as my levels were always low.
I believe B12 is listed as a stress vitamin. So, even if it does nothing for ALS I think it is still a good thing to take.

Not sure why I quit! I should start again.

yeah, even if this whole army of supplements/organic diet malarkey isn't doing anything for ALS, but mum sure looks beautiful for it. her hair has grown long and her skin is flawless. :)

Hey Guys......this is such a weird disease! Symptoms are different and responses to drugs are too. I found the tonic water didn't help...hmmm...maybe not enough gin in it? But the Quinine pills did make a huge difference...but with all the positive comments on B12 I am going to try it....as many have said on the forum...what is the worst than can happen....will I get ALS? :)
Rick
P.S. And that comment on hair growing tipped me over the edge:)......next to ALS male pattern baldness is one of my main hates! Darn the genetics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back