Not open for further replies.

brooksea

Legendary member
Reason
Other
Country
HM
I received this Friday from the ALSA. Wanted to make sure you are all aware:

This afternoon, the Social Security Administration (SSA) announced that in May they will distribute a one time payment of $250 to Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) beneficiaries. The payment is the result of the economic stimulus package signed into law last month. A leaflet discussing the payment in greater detail is available here, http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10519.pdf, and additional information is available on the SSA website here, http://www.socialsecurity.gov/payment/.

Recipients of veterans benefits and Railroad Retirement benefits also are eligible for the payments in addition to those receiving Social Security. People eligible for the benefits do not have to take any action in order to receive the payments. They will be paid to you by the agency from which you currently receive benefits. Information for veterans will be available on the VA website at http://www.va.gov/recovery/ and for recipients of Railroad Retirement benefits at www.rrb.gov. Note: If you receive benefits from more than one agency (eg, SSA and VA), you will receive one $250 payment, not two payments.

Many people with ALS will qualify for these benefits based on regulations The ALS Association helped to establish which make it easier for PALS to qualify for both Social Security benefits and VA benefits.

We hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact The ALS Association at [email protected] or toll-free at 1-800-782-4747.

is is like the last one, do you get extra for your dependents? Is this coming from the feds or directly from s.s., thanks margaret

CJ, Thanks for posting this.

From SS site:

The Department of the Treasury will be sending payments throughout the month of May.
How will I receive my
one-time payment?

We will deliver your one-time payment the same way we currently deliver your Social Security or SSI benefit. If we deliver your monthly benefit by check, we will deliver your one-time payment by check. If you receive your benefits by direct deposit or Direct Express® debit card, you will receive the one-time payment the same way.
We will send your one-time economic recovery payment separately from
your Social Security or SSI benefit; it will not be included with your monthly benefit payment.

Are children who receive
Social Security benefits eligible
for the one-time economic recovery payment?

No, children under the age of 18 (19 if still in high school) who receive Social Security benefits are NOT eligible for the one-time payment. However, adult children who receive disability benefits on a parent’s record will receive a payment.
Are children who receive SSI benefits eligible for the one-time economic recovery payment?
Yes, children receiving SSI are eligible for the one-time payment.

What about LTD in the mix?

I've been filling out update for the LTD insurance company. They request an update every year.

When you are on SS Disability you get a cost of living increase and now we have this "stimulus" arriving.

My question: Does LTD Insurance take away or deduct your cost of living increase each year from their payment so that you will always remain at the same income? And will they most likely do the same with this stimulus money?

I hope someone can give me an answer that will not totally depress me!

Hi CJ, I am new to this, but my LTD "guarantys" me to receive 60% of my last salary, after subtracting SSI etc.

Well that's my point. If you will always receive 60% of your past salary, what about the cost of living? And do we have to pay back the stimulus to the LTD company?

I have a feeling I know the answer. So I guess we will only stimulate the insurance company?

That is a really great question...will we have it decucted from disability insuance? Also, will it be taxed?

My understanding (which may/could be wrong), is, I get 60% till I am 65 (that's forever for me). So, if 60% = $10,000 I will always get $10,000 exactly forever. Regardless of col. The $10,000= SSI+LTD

Well that's my point. If you will always receive 60% of your past salary, what about the cost of living? And do we have to pay back the stimulus to the LTD company?

I have a feeling I know the answer. So I guess we will only stimulate the insurance company?

I think that LTD varies according to policy. Mine states it will back ALL other income out of it, including social security, retirement (yeah right) & income from other policies. So it will probably be a wash for those who receive enough to actually matter from their LTD policy.

My policy was based on my last 12 months income, and as I'd worked so little toward the end, I only receive $100 monthly from them anyway due to what I receive from social security.

As LTD has to pay me at least $100, they can't pay me any less. ~somehow I should be able to turn this around and make it a good thing...:neutral:

SS Benefits

Question: How "disabled" do I have to be before I can apply for SS benefits. If I have to be disabled for 5 months, do I wait until I can't talk, or can't swallow, or can't walk. A bit confused. I guess if I have to work to survive and I can't get SS until I haven't worked for 5 months, well, that pretty much leaves me up that perverbial creek, doesn't it.
Any answers or suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks, NancyS

oh Nancy,
I hope someone jumps in and leads you in the right direction!

I'm thinking if you go up at the top to "search" and type in social security disability, or ssd, maybe that will send you to some older threads about it.

I had one heck of a time trying to figure out what to do when I was diagnosed. The 5 mo. time frame is actually the time that you can NOT work in order to qualify for disability benefits. But you have to have worked to earn so many credits in your lifetime.

I must meet my son's bus, so I'll have to get on here tonight, I know that I am in my 3rd month of working below their maximum in order to qualify.

Hang in there, we'll all try to help,
brenda

Nancy...

Does your employer pay into state short term disability? If so, you would start receiving that as soon as all paid sick leave from your company was depleted. Are the number of sick days you're allowed to take restricted by your company? If so, and you have sick pay coming to you which exceeds the amount of days you may use, applying for leave under the Family Leave Ac, and this t would cover you from possible discipline from exceeding absence allowance.

Once you have a formal diagnosis of ALS, you qualify as disabled for Social Security. (I believe you already have a diagnosis, right?) There are at least three other threads on the forums that would help you, I don't remember the exact title of subject line, but they should be easy to spot if you start looking back through,~ key word "disability" ~ and there is a good bit of information in them.

PS, I think it was in one of your other posts where you said you enjoyed knitting and didn't want to think it would have to come to an end soon... I'm not a knitter, but I crochet, and still am able to, just for not as long of uninterrupted periods of time as my hands will cramp. ~ Lonna (Sukilou) is a knitter, and she still knits....

Thanks Brenda and Rose. I will search and find the other threads. I am still able to work and need to at least to the end of this year. I have no other symptoms outside of Bulbar and then only with my speech and mild swallow issues. I went for speech augmentation devices evaluation yesterday at Mayo in Jacksonville. I worry about losing my ability to speak but maybe that will help lower the stress level or from worrying about it. I will go for an evaluation in June, (six months from being diagnosed) and the Dr. will be able to tell how slow or quick my progression is. I don't know if they can really tell that but he said that if you are slow progression it does not tend to change in speed. Also, yesterday, working with the speech pathologist, she told me that people with bulbar symptoms sometimes don't ever get it in the limbs and that I could have bulbar for a long time. I tell you, I am so tired of reading and being told by the experts such conflicting stories. I understand it is a hard disease to diagnosed and mistakes happen, but you get to a point of WHO DO I BELIEVE?
I am going to try and get in the Ceftriaxone study that will be starting later this summer (maybe) because I feel if this is Lyme and not ALS then maybe it will help. Very confusing disease. I guess I need to settle down, reduce the stress level, and go with the flow. So many of you here on the forum seem to be so good at this and I think I am and then just get all messed up again. I will continue to search for the SS answers and continue to read all your posts so that I can ground myself in the reality of it all.
Thanks again for your help,
NancyS

hey Nancy, no problem, sounds like you have everything very well organized! I am going back to my neuro in May, and am hoping to get into the ceftriaxone trial as well. Don't remember when he said he would be enrolling, but I'm getting in as soon as I can.

On a good note, I got an email from my lawyer friend today, she contacted our state capital people about my ssd claim, and the "DDDS" told her they had made a decision TODAY! Now I guess I sit around and wait for a week or so to get my official letter from ssd telling me when benefits will start.

Keep us posted on how it's going for you, I will be anxious to hear about the drug trial!
take good care,
brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back