Diagnosis
12/2012
Country
FI
State
Southern Finland
City
Espoo
I once had a caretaker with a similar sense of humor as myself. We wrote down a number of comic scripts from our daily mishaps. Last week we decided to take it a step further by having a couple of them drawn as comic strips. Here is the introductory strip as an example.

Before we go any further, I would like to hear opinions about whether this kind of humor is felt inappropriate. My hunch is that many PALS are OK with it but those less familiar with the thing find it too cruel/insulting. What do you think?

Attachments

• nurses_update_2 (3).jpg
    nurses_update_2 (3).jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,077
Me and my buddies joke about it all the time. Example - we were sitting around after going shooting and one of them made the comment that soon they wouldn't have to worry about me committing suicide because I wouldn't be able to pull the trigger.

Someone here has the sig line "if you can't laugh at it then it's won" and I whole heartedly agree with it.

I've always made fun of myself. My dad had a very sardonic sense of humor and, unfortunately, it rubbed off. I'm very sensitive to others so I must continually bridle my tongue.

The only thing about the strip that gives me pause is that there are caregivers out there who mistreat their patients and don't research the disease. The horror stories I've heard from PALS and CALS and about PALS and CALS scares me.

It doesn't offend me but I can see why it might offend some.

It's a bit bleak, but dark humour definitely serves a purpose. Particularly if there's a grain of truth in it. I don't find it offensive at all.

Generally I have a very offbeat sense of humor and don’t find it offensive. However, I’m early into my disease course, so I find the possibility of ending up like “Hangie” terrifying.

I found it insensitive, bordering on just plain mean.

Don't worry about it tho cuz I am not offended, but I could see how others would be

Makes my neck hurt even more!

The nurses are cute...

Humor is life. If I can't laugh, I would cry.

When I run into someone that hasn't seen me in a long time they say,
"Good golly, you have lost a lot of weight... tell me how you did it."
I tell them,
"Well, it takes a couple of doctor visits, an EMG, a Nerve Conduction Test, blood work, more doctor appointments and a clinical trial every three months."
Some don't catch on and say,
"It sure is working."
Then I tell them... "It's a new fad diet called the ALS Diet. It's not one I'd recommend to anyone.' :)

Another thing I tell them... "Losing a lot of weight comes with a cost. In my closet is a row of Jeans... the 38's, the 36s." Hopefully now... 34s are it."

At least one thing... baggy shirts seem to be the in thing. :)

Al, I’ve been trying to convince people (to no avail) that atrophy is the new trendy-chic.

Well, I went in the opposite direction. Gone are the size 6 slim fitting jeans. I got rid of the 4's when I went on Remeron. I think I skipped right past the 8s and into a stretchy 10. Some days I feel I might be more comfortable in a 12. Sweats are the best and I already had plenty of them.

Then there's the top. I'm falling out of a C-cup. I was always an odd size of somewhere between a B and C but since I only wear a bra about once a week, there's no way I'm buying a D cup. :lol:

My hands and feet look like something out of a horror show. I've always had skinny fingers and toes but they now look like a skeleton covered with thin skin. :lol::lol: And my toes are curling. Honestly, it feels good to bend them back as far as I can. I wish someone would invent something that actually worked for the toes. I spent a small fortune on splints, braces, and other crap that just doesn't help. I probably should stretch more.

I like to observe people. I see so many people out there abusing their bodies. I have friends who are morbidly obese and eat crap all day long. Then they complain because they are "winded" or can't get off the cruise ship without their walkers. They have artificial knees, hips, shoulders and still abuse their bodies. My body abuses me and that sucks.

Kim,

My DH has problems with curling toes too. I got him yoga toes on Amazon. I ordered "Original Yoga Toes for Men" (dark blue in the pic), but I don't see why they wouldn't work for women. You cant walk in them, but he says they do help keep his toes stretched. Have you tried them?

I did try them. They felt good but didn't help. I still have them.

My wife's favorite saying is "It's a good thing he never did much before (housework), because I sure don't miss it now!"
Glen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back