Diagnosis
03/2014
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Abbotsford
Has anyone used the skinny airplane wheelchair to board a plane? I cant walk anymore and am trying to figure out how much work it is or if its even possible?

Airlines all have these chairs. I haven't used one myself, but seeing someone use one on a plane I was on, they seem pretty simple. You get to be the first one on the plane, but you are the last one off. It can take a while to get your chair if you are using a power chair. I had to wait an hour both times I flew. Hope that helps. Bon voyage.
Vincent

Are you flying with someone? The transfer to/from the airline seat (doing it safely, protecting your joints and airway) and proper positioning in flight would be my major concerns. However crew assists, they should be directed by you or a companion.

They have transfer boards to help. If you go into your airline reservation you should be able to check you have a wheelchair and will need assistance. If you cant figure it out, call the airline directly.

Thanks. My brother and sister will be helping me. They can lift me so im sure its gona be no problem. Just wanted to know hoow it works

My mom flew while she could still stand and flew back unable to. Both times she used this skinny chair. The airline staff was trained very well and we're able to transfer her from chair to seat with out a problem. They even carried her down the stairs from the plane twice because there was no walkway available to attach to plane due to delays. Even though my mom was nervous both times, the staff were reassuring and had things under control. We did get the seat closest to the front, mostly for space because the airline told us they could get her to the very back if needed.

It did help that she had my dad and sister to tel them what she was and wasn't able to do, so tranfering went very smooth. Safe and fun travels!

-Erika

I used one back in sept. and it was fine but the airline really bumped my pwc around in cargo, didn't fell like my chair at all when I sat in it and later had my guy to tweak all the settings and adjustments. Also in flight I had to pee bad so my brother and I got up and he helped me to the nearest bathroom. Well we went forward into the " first" class section and when we got there the stewardess said no can't use it. We were shocked and I should had just pissed in the isle .
We crawled all the way back to the rear where there was a crowd but all were kind and let me in ahead.
My brother was furious and wrote the head person of the airline and insisted the woman have classes on helping handicap people and such. They were apologetic and said that should never have happened and they gave me a $400 voucher. Just my experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back