Old 06-07-2016, 09:45 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Sandy Springs
State: Georgia
Diagnosed: 10/2010
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
frankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the rough
frankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the rough
Default Delicate Subject

Tried the "search" feature but didn't find much help on the subject of external hemorrhoids. A long trip with prolonged sitting dealt me a first time experience with a protruding (thrombosis) hemorrhoid situation. Not good. The old internet search routine tells me the condition will go away in 2 or 3 weeks. Any suggestions for help in the meantime?

Last edited by frankb : 06-07-2016 at 11:12 AM
Old 06-07-2016, 11:35 AM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Atsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud ofAtsugi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Delicate Subject

I have no special expertise or experience, but it seems to me that if you are sitting all the time, your hemorrhoids will probably stay with you. If I were you, I'd let an MD do a physical exam. (Pick a doctor you can have fun with.)
Thanks from
ShiftKicker (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 11:47 AM #3 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to behold
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to beholdShiftKicker is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsugi View Post
(Pick a doctor you can have fun with.)
Ha! Atsugi!
My dad went on at length about why he chose a female doctor with very slender hands after he hit 45. He swore there was no way he was allowing someone with big hairy knuckles even close to his nether bits.

Frank, hemorrhoids can stay around for longer than the mentioned 2 or 3 weeks and cause continued discomfort and likely constipation (which can be a hemorrhoid instigator to begin with). While waiting can usually be advised for people who are up and moving around frequently- anyone seated for long times can expect a much longer time for them to heal on their own. While it's uncomfortable and a delicate subject, don't wait for long to get them seen to or there may be continued uncomfortable incidences.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:46 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Greenville
State: SC
Lixen is on a very distinguished roadLixen is on a very distinguished road
City: Greenville
State: SC
Lixen is on a very distinguished roadLixen is on a very distinguished road

Sorry for the personal questions and they don't really require a reply but do the hemmorhoids originate up inside the rectum and prolapse externally or are they external (around the anal opening?) Most will resolve on their own, in time, but if they thrombose the blood has coagulated to the point where resolution without intervention becomes almost impossible. A way to tell is by the color of the hemmorhoid. Red/pink is good, black or blue/black isn't good. If it's black or blue I would suggest seeking treatment. I'm not sure what the restrictions are for treating PALS but banding is a pretty common form of treatment and sometimes just lancing them in the office will allow for healing. If you're in pain there's a a topical called Proctofoam HC. Like ShiftKicker mentioned, constipation is a common cause for hemmorhoids so it's good to keep the pipes moving. I wish you luck in finding relief, amazing how something so small can so drastically impact ones quality of life! ‎
Old 06-07-2016, 02:54 PM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Frank, ouch

Lixen gives good information there on checking them, and you may want to get a doctor to check too.

There are creams that have a local anaesthetic to deaden the pain, that can give some immediate relief.

What kind of cushion do you use - ROHO? Make sure the air is correct in it. If you don't have one an O cushion may take a little pressure off.

Is this from sitting too long or did you become constipated during the trip? Addressing this will be as important as anything.

I hope you get relief soon.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:38 PM #6 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to beholdKimT is a splendid one to behold

I went to the doctor about a month ago for internal hemorrhoids. Prior to my visit I used prep-H suppositories and cream and it helped. The doctor explained that everyone has them. They get filled with blood and hurt and/or prolapse outside. The most successful way he treats them is banding them off. It cuts the blood supply and they drop off within a couple of weeks. He said he has a 95% success rate doing it this way as opposed to surgery or freezing them. It is also done without general sedation....just local. Anyway, even though psyllium took away the constipation causing them I'm getting the banding when I get back from vacation. They do one at a time. He is aware of the ALS and said it's the safest and surest way to treat them. Mine were a result of horrible constipation and straining but sitting down all the time is bad. I would rather have them taken care of sooner rather than later. Call your gastro. Mine would have done the procedure right there but I wanted to wait until after vacation since I'm no longer constipated.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:21 PM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Nuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Nuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to beholdNuts is a splendid one to behold

we're dealing with the same problem here. I think the sling is a big part of the problem. We waited three months for a VA appointment, only to have it cancelled the day before we were to go in--and then rescheduled for another two months later. I made an outside appointment, but the doc wanted to try ointment for a month. He said healing from having them cut would be very painful and difficult (and hubby is on a Roho cushion). Of course, they started bleeding two weeks later. He's supposed to be calling to try to get back sooner, but every day it's something and the call doesn't get made. Tomorrow it's an earache that we'll need to find someone to see...

I appreciate this tread. I will ask about banding when we do get back in.

Oh, we've already had one ER visit over this when one burst and the clot got stuck, holding the hole open, which meant the bleeding wouldn't stop. Now that I know I have my tweezers ready...

Becky
Old 06-09-2016, 09:46 AM #8 (permalink)

Thanks, everyone. Your comments have been very helpful ! !/Frank
Closed Thread

Tags
go away, trip