Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
PA
City
Pittsburgh
This should be an easy thing for me to find out, but I'm having difficulty finding the right answer for me as an individual.

I know that there are ADA guidelines for most everything we have done to our homes to accommodate our needs. However, because I'm so short ( about 4' 10") some of the general heights don't work for me.

How high should I have the grab bar on the wall beside the bidet installed for my height, or lack of height?

Thanks for your help!
Audrey

Have you discussed this with an OT they should be able to give proper guide lines.
Patrick.

Audrey! Wow! We have the same problem but in reverse!
I'm 6 foot. Wayne is 6'3", so we like everything slightly above the guidelines.
Our kitchen, bathroom and laundry benches are all higher than standard. Luckily we have tall kids too. Carrah is 13 and 5'9", and Connor is 5'1" at eleven.
I agree with Steve, have an OT come and help with how high (or low. :)) to put things. Stick to your guns and make sure they work for your height, not everyone else's. Maybe have your caregiver there too, to support your cause.
All the best with get things sorted Audrey, they will make a huge difference to you.
God bless, Janelle x

The VA standard is 29" in the middle of the grab bar. But your bar could be vertical,angled,or horizontal. But, they also are doing away with them if you don't have use of hands or arms.

Ada also says 1.5 " in diameter but that is too big for some hands and not big enough for others. Home depot has a big selection you can try grabbing to see which diameter works best.

Thanks everyone...I contacted an OT and she said that I need to sit on the toilet and see what feels comfortable for me...and not to follow any standards set for the "average" height person.
Audrey

A toilet riser, which has its own handholds, might help as well. By the time Larry couldn't use that, he couldn't stand on his own at all. When you have to reach to the side, you are relying more on one side than if you can push off with both hands and engage more of your core. We had the Tall-Ette brand.

Do get advice from an OT that knows ALS.

Grab bars and rails were totally out of the question for Chris because his arms and hands went before his legs. Because his hands were clawed grab rails would have been more dangerous for him.

So far as height, that's where an OT is helpful as of course there is no standard. It's a bit like how high should the shower rose be? The answer there is adjustable! Grab bars can't be adjustable so they need to be at your height.

Just another issue with our supposedly disabled access facilities here. How do you create a set up that will work for a disabled child 4' high that will also be correct for a 6'3 adult?

An occupational therapist can help. My grab bars flip up so that when I was transferring on my own I can get them out of the way. Now they just push me out so you can get the sling out from under me.

This is my first time on one of these PALS forums and I am VERY impressed on how helpful everyone is. thank you :)

Your shower apparatus can also have an additional grab bar. I was able to find a really lovely one on line that was curved like a drawn out s shape. So you can have style as well as usefulness.

Hi Ron, and welcome. Yes, this is a wonderful bunch of folks and they have a lot of knowledge, help, and support. They share freely. You've come to a good place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back