Diagnosis
10/2010
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Sandy Springs
Have an appt for PWC measurement at the VA Med Center. Do I ask for specific equipment or will they tell me what I need? Comments will be appreciated ! !

We chose to get my husband's permobil through his work insurance with a perscription written by his neuro (he treats him both at the VA and the Duke ALS clinic). He specified a Permobil C300 with power leg lift, tilt, recline, and elevate. He also got a Roho seat cushion. I think this is a pretty standard configuration for ALS at our VA hospital. There was some question about our insurance providing the elevate, but you really want it. Not only does it put things in reach, it also helps immensly to be able to look people in the eye when you are dealing with them. The VA has also provided him with a cup holder and tray and saddle bags for carrying things. Additional things will be added as you need them. We have found that the folks at our VA hospital are very knowledgeable and always make wonderful recommendations--often for things we had no idea we needed.

The folks at the VA started by asking what I like to do and went from there.
They were intimately familiar with the different brands and options and set me up with a very nice, very useful Pwc.

My vote would be to trust the folks who do this on a daily basis.

Steve had his assessment last week. It was about 2 hours. Hour one was a functional assessment of what he could and couldnt do...mostly answering a lot of questions and seeing what equipment outside of the chair could be provided that would help him. Hour 2 was the chair assessment. The pt asked a lot of questions about hobbies, what kinds of things he did for fun, measured him under his arms, hips, leg length,width, each segment, then the arms total length and each segment. got a height and weight. She explained several options that will become available as needed. The order form is 18 pages so it takes awhile.

There is a power driving class one must attend at our VA. Dont know if it is everywhere but Steve has to go. You get to pick the color of your chair...at least Steve did for the Permobil c400.

My assessment was not via the VA, but through private insurance. It did not go at all like I expected, but that is a good thing.

They spent about a half hour asking about what I like to do and generally getting a feel for my current capabilities. Then they took me to the back warehouse and showed me about a dozen demo power chairs and scooters. The warehouse had hundreds of chairs in it.

They had me sit in a few and try driving them. The assessed my ability to drive a bit, counseled me on the pros and cons of the various types of drive and control, and then told me I was on my own:). I got to switch back and forth between all the demo equipment and find out which kind of chair was best for me.

I spent over 4 hours in the chairs getting used to them. They checked on me periodically and answered all my questions. I was able to drive throughout the warehouse, up and down the loading ramp, and on the sidewalks and driveway outside. I really think this was an outstanding way to help me understand what was available and what would work for me.

Before the evaluation, I had done my homework on the brands and reliability along with the advantages/disadvantages of rear wheel drive vs mid wheel drive vs front wheel drive.

In the end, I picked a Permobil C500 vs. The only drawback to that chair is its size (big). Otherwise, it is perfect. They carefully measured me and the chair I received is just amazingly comfortable. I take naps in it, because it is more comfortable than my ultra comfortable recliner.

I opted for all the bells and whistles, and had to pay for some of them myself (private insurance would not cover some). I have leg elevate, tilt, recline, seat elevate, and standing capabilities. I agonized over whether this was simply overkill. Now that I have the chair I am so very, very glad that I selected the options I did. It took a little over 4 months from the beginning of the process until the chair arrived.

As a final though, here are some words that will hopefully be encouraging. I dreaded making the appointment and going to it. I drug my feet. I was unsettled in the waiting room. Once they sat me in a wheelchair and let me drive, it took about 10 seconds to totally change my outlook. My mobility had been decreasing and I was just not doing anything that required walking much at all. Once I was in the chair and turned loose, I realized I could go the length of the warehouse, around the building, etc. without a second thought. Just move the control knob and I was going! What a sense of freedom. I left the appointment on cloud nine, anxious for my chair to arrive. I had gone into the appointment just to test the waters and was not planning to actually order a chair. I was pretty silly. I still have to fight that denial thing a bit:)

Steve

I think it is terribly important to also be very aware of what is to come when ordering your chair, not just where you are at now.

All those 'extras' are not luxuries or overkill, they will become essential down the track.

To add to the above see if you need split leg rests or can go with the single middle ones. I have to have the split ones and because of that had to get the Quantum. I also like it because it comes with the attendant control at no extra charge. At our support group is is 50/50 Permobil/Quantum. Permobil was giving free elevate functions for ALS patients. Quantum did it for the 1st 50 or 100 orders and I got it. It really is a necessity around the kitchen (while I can) and also nice to speak with people at eye level. You can probably get the local rep and/or ALSA person to get it free if you talk it up.

Take your time IN the chair. Get the upgraded Rojo cushion. Do not get a van until after you get your chair. We had to get a taller van because of my height. Luckily the 1st one was my grandparents old van.

Doug

Great info. Thanks, everyone ! ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back