Diagnosis
04/2014
Country
US
State
Minnestota
City
Woodbury
I went to my wrist fixed in city far away that also had inexpensive gas. Since I have a credit on my Walmart discover card I told my son who driving me that I would put $50 worth of gas into his vehicle. The card was declined so my son called the number on the back of the card and talked to a Spanish fellow with broken English. My son told him I was standing right there but had ALS and could not speak. The fellow apparently thought I could speak so my son handed me the phone. I made noise which he apparently deemed inappropriate responses. He then froze my card until Aaron could send in a POA.
My doctor took one look at my broken wrist and said I needed screws and an extender, but no doctor would touch me having ALS.

> I made noise which he apparently deemed inappropriate responses. He then froze my card until Aaron could send in a POA.
My doctor took one look at my broken wrist and said I needed screws and an extender, but no doctor would touch me having ALS.

the whole thing sucks. Whenever I get to feeling really sorry for myself, along come someone who is worse off!

So sorry about your wrist, iiwii, so hang in there ...

kind regards,

Max

So what did he do about your wrist? That statement about no surgery because you have ALS sounds crazy. Is there an increased risk? If you need general anesthesia there is especially if you are respiratory compromised. Are you? Have you been told numbers? Often you are told a percent. This would be from various blowing or inhaling or sniffing tests not just the sensor on your finger. But it seems like this could be done under some kind of block without general? And it is a risk / benefit calculation. If you had full use of that hand and wrist prior and are now going to be impaired it seems like a big benefit to getting fixed. Sounds like you need a second opinion? Call your ALS neurologist and ask them to recommend a surgeon with experience with ALS. My sister who is advanced ALS had neck surgery under general. Very risky but necessary and she did ok despite poor breathing

So what did he do about your wrist? That statement about no surgery because you have ALS sounds crazy. Is there an increased risk? If you need general anesthesia there is especially if you are respiratory compromised. Are you? Have you been told numbers? Often you are told a percent. This would be from various blowing or inhaling or sniffing tests not just the sensor on your finger. But it seems like this could be done under some kind of block without general? And it is a risk / benefit calculation. If you had full use of that hand and wrist prior and are now going to be impaired it seems like a big benefit to getting fixed. Sounds like you need a second opinion? Call your ALS neurologist and ask them to recommend a surgeon with experience with ALS. My sister who is advanced ALS had neck surgery under general. Very risky but necessary and she did ok despite poor breathing

I agree with Nikki...that is just plain weird. Just because you have a terminal disease, does not make you exempt from a basic orthopedic procedure. It is like saying if you had a deep laceration, they could not suture it cause you have ALS>
I could see that it if you needed a heart transplant...but screws in your wrist is not even a stay over night at the hospital procedure ....outpatient surgery.
If that doc is the only one available, I would demand that your wrist be fixed!
Ultimately ...I would try to get another doc.

I breathe just fine. I have bulbar and he was generalizing. In 9 days I am moving to MN where the are ASL resources and more PALS.:?:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back