More travel advice...lightweight wheelchair?

Status
Not open for further replies.

azgirl

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
I will be traveling to Hawaii soon and I've now learned to request a wheelchair at airports (even though I can still walk short distances fairly easily) however, I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and purchase a chair to take on the trip so I can join my family on walks down the ocean pathway and use at airports. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Maybe contact an equipment dealer there and ask about short term rental of a pwc. That way you can conserve your strength for the fun stuff. I believe they have chairs they use as loaners when a clients chair needs to go in for major repairs and they probably rent them out, especially at a major tourist area like Hawaii

you could also buy a small lightweight scooter. that was a life saver for my husband. they are very common, so do not have a Wheelchair stigma attached. they fold up and fit in the trucks of cars. they are easy to maneuver , relatively inexpensive and actually fun to drive! if you can still walk and are not ready for a PWC, your vacation will be much more fun if you can get around easily.

Oh BTW, I have always wanted to go to Hawaii! have a great time!

Or rent a scooter there? Sister did that before she was fulltime in a chair. ( just protect from rain if you get caught in a shower). Later rented a pwc while traveling but the company would only rent those if you already had a pwc at home. Don't know if that is a common restriction. A lightweight wc is great to have as long as you have plenty of willing pushers. You can't interact as well with your pusher which might detract from experience?
Have a great time!

Maybe your local MDA closet could loan you one for a short time.

>I will be traveling to Hawaii soon and I've now learned to request a wheelchair at airports

which island? They may have a local MDA that might have loaner scooters, pwc's etc...

Going to Maui with a fun group. Hoping to be able to snorkel, one of my favorite activities. I will check with the local MDA to see if they have anything to offer. I kind of like the idea of some sort of scooter...seems like a lot more fun than the wheel chair, which is coming soon enough anyway.

Oh those light wt scooters are great and they'll store it on the plane without hassle--ours was called a go-go scooter and we borrowed it from the als loan closet!

We also used a manual wheelchair for travel but when the plane attendants took it at the end of galley before getting on the plane I took the pedals with me!

The scooter needed the charger repaired once and thankfully there was a scooter dealer nearby! The manual wheelchair just needed our cushion (roho) for comfort! It was easier to pop into restaurants and switch to a seat vs finding a spot for the scooter!

Ah good travel memories! Have a wonderful time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back